Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > There are some people out there that really get Baker Mayfield

There are some people out there that really get Baker Mayfield
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 03:37 pm

This one puts things about Baker in the right perspective.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/6/16735642/baker-mayfield-stats-heisman-record-oklahoma?utm_campaign=alex_kirshner&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 03:45 pm

"His completion percentage (71) is this year’s best and 27th-best all-time among qualifiers. It’s a good bit off from Colt McCoy’s record 76.7 percent in 2008."

He throws deep more often than Colt McCoy did so he's a far more accurate passer despite the complete percentage difference. If he was throwing those same passes as McCoy, his completion percentage would be 80%+.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 05:03 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/a/all-americans-2017

SB All American Team

DartmouthSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 05:26 pm

One thing that people are not emphasizing enough is that he improved his numbers from last year even though the entire cast of skill players around him changed (we lost Mixon, Perine and Westbrook). 

It's really impressive that he can be successful with different surrounding casts.

StatesEye

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 06:21 pm

His passer rating (203.8) is the best all-time, better than 2016 Baker Mayfield (196.4) and 2011 Russell Wilson (191.8).

His yards per attempt (11.8) is the best all-time, better than 1999 Michael Vick (11.4) and 2016 Baker Mayfield (11.1).

The passer rating gap between Mayfield’s current number and Wilson is the same as the gap between No. 3 Wilson and No. 15 Vernon Adams of Oregon.

Well, this kinda "stole my thunder".

I was preparing a normal distribution plot similar to the one I posted a couple of days ago about the phenomenon of OU's 2017 offense. This plot contains passer efficiency data. It's unbelievable what the numbers suggest!

I accented a portion of the article in bold. Just let that sink in for a moment. Baker's performance last year is a once in a generation performance. His performance this year is a once in a generation of generations performance. Everyone soak this moment up....unless there're some miraculous medical advancements against aging you will not see it again.

Of course it takes the entire team for Baker to have such numbers. I hope the rest of the team can hold up to what we are going to see from Georgia.... Georgia's good, ya'll. Very, very good.

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 08:39 pm

I wish I knew how many of the PI's and incomplete passes that are credited to Baker when they were actually tipped or catch-able.  Sure seems he has been more accurate than his statistics reflect.

SoonerRick46
Ragtags

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2017 12:42 am

Baker has an uncanny ability to read defenses and knows this offense inside and out. He also has the ability to hit very tight windows and go deep with better accuracy than most. When you make those risky throws, your accuracy is going to suffer a little bit. If he was like some system QBs and tried this, one of two things would happen. They'd be at 50% completion or less or they would have a ton of interceptions.

Current time is 12:24 am