Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > Proposal for the basketball program.

Proposal for the basketball program.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER  

Print
AuthorPost
jdurrett

Country of Origin: Oklahoma
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 04:19 pm

For whatever reason(s), the women's basketball program has slowly deteriorated from what was a nationally competitive program into a second rate one at best. I hate this. When I look around at the championship teams this small, poor state fields I am upset that we regress in women's basketball.

Joe C. needs to have a sit down with Sherri and appoint her Assistant Athletic director in charge of women's sports. That is an office she was designed for and we should be proud to have her fill it.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 06:43 pm

Lindy Roberts is the present Senior Associate Athletic Director/Senior Women's Admnistrator/Events & Facilities. She has been the top OU women's sports administrator since 2008.

OU does not have a separate designation for men and women sports administration. Ms. Roberts does do the sports administration for men's and women's gymnastics and women's basketball including supervision of coaching staff and manages all events and facilities.

Joe C. is not going to create another expense line on the budget to accommodate a position for Sherri. He will address Sherri's performance head on but not necessarily to the satisfaction of many fans.

Last edited on Wed Dec 6th, 2017 09:27 pm by SoonerSpock

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 07:37 pm

In other words, Joe should fire Sherri.

It might happen.  I suggest that the possibilities are very, very slim.  Sherri might get frustrated and resign.  That would be a different personality than I have seen.

First, I'm not sure Joe C cares.  Most of the momentum for the discharge of Sherri Coale is message board chatter, with some arising from the sports media which is its own brand of message board, often interrelated.  Media types who have no interest in women's sports are calling out Sherri.  Of course, they don't follow any women's sports.

But, I suspect that the driving force behind the women's program, if there is one, is about the same as it has always been.  I haven't seen a poll of the Stilettos.  I doubt that the regents are that involved.  The money behind OU sports is all about football.  Exactly who is interested in discharging Sherri that has any pull with the athletic department?  Somehow, I think that message board posters who were complaining when we had Courtney that she was not-athletic (a euphemistic term) are not receiving a lot of attention from the administration.

For all intents and purposes, there was no program before Sherri.  I'm surprised that she doesn't get some credit for the rise in attention to other women's sports at OU.  Whatever interest there is was created out of nowhere.  Joe C is probably quite pleased that he is not Donnie Duncan, nor is he likely to make that type of mistake.

It is interesting that so many think we built off of recruiting.  In the entire history of the women's program, I think there have been four (4) recruits listed in the top ten in any service lists:  Courtney, Ashley, Amanda, and----Madison Williams, a current signee.  The 2002 team was one of the best for its time in women's basketball history, and it was not built on highly-rated prospects.  They were well-scouted apparently.  We have only had a couple of others that were McDonald's All-Americans:  Abi and Aaryn.  None of our top stars (recruiting rankings) were from Oklahoma.  That is contrary to the men's program in  which all of the superstars were from Oklahoma:  Adams, Lane, Tisdale, Griffin, and now Young.

I don't think that Joe C has any intention of firing Kruger, and Kruger just had a year in which he finished ninth in the Big Twelve.  Sherri has never finished next-to-last, did finish ninth out of twelve in 98 or 99.  Kruger had just been to the Final Four and let it slide to ninth.  Wonder where this year would be without Young?

On paper, Sherri has had three good recruiting years.  The first turned into a wash as both left.  But, she's had two good ones in a row.  The prognosis for this year is pretty solid since the top prospect in Oklahoma is a huge fan of Sherri's, a ranking of somewhere around 85.  But, OU has never been a good school for basketball recruiting, men or women.  There isn't a good JC route for Kelvin or Billy to savor in women's basketball.  Too much is made of a statement that Sherri made that she doesn't like recruiting.  No coach does.  Well, a couple might.  It's a pain that they put up with.

I'm not exactly overjoyed with the events of this year.  But, the year isn't over yet, and a better foundation is in place for the next couple of years.

May as well put on your seatbelt.  It may be bumpy, but I suspect that this is the only road we will be on.

Wonder who OU would get if Sherri were to resign?  Wonder if they could do as well?  Tech hasn't rebuilt, nor have Colorado, Kansas, and Kansas State, all of whom were powers at one point.  USC and UCLA have great schools to which to recruit, and their success is in the now distant past.  I think North Carolina is having a worse year than we are.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 01:44 pm

You can trust me on this.  Joe Castigilione cares, he cares about every OU sport. That includes Women's Basketball.  The issues with the women's basketball have nothing to do with Joe.  it has to do with coaching and recruiting related to the OU Women's basketball program.  If the current OU Women's basketball coaching staff had done as good of a job as Joe Castigilione has with the OU Athletic Department we wouldn't be in this situation.

Last night Sherri's basketball team lost to the South Dakota Rabbits by a score of 67 - 61. The Rabbits held a 38 - 16 half time lead over the University of Oklahoma Sooners Women's Basketball team.

How can anyone justify OU losing to the South Dakota Jackrabbits.

I'm as much of a Sherri Coale fan as anyone.  But, you just can't push her last few years results on the court off on anyone or anything else besides Sherri and her coaching staff. 

Here is the story about the game against the South Dakota Jackrabbits. 

-------------------------------------------------
Jackrabbits down Sooners
Oklahoman Published: December 6, 2017 9:43 PM CDT Updated: December 6, 2017 9:44 PM

South Dakota State raced to an early lead then was able to hold off an Oklahoma charge in the second half as the Jackrabbits defeated the Sooners, 67-61, Wednesday night in Brookings, South Dakota.

The Jackrabbits, 7-2, jumped to a 19-12 lead after the first quarter and held a 38-16 advantage at halftime.

The Sooners got back in the game by outscoring South Dakota State 19-12 in the third period, but never could overtake the Jackrabbits in the second half as OU fell to 3-5 on the season.

The Jackrabbits controlled the game as OU only led for 38 seconds, that occurring less than five minutes into the contest.

Shaina Pellington led the Sooners in scoring with 16 points. Gabbi Oritz added 13 points and Maddie Manning had 10.

South Dakota State was led by Macy Miller with 17 points. Madison Guebert added 16 points for the Jackrabbits.

The Sooners next game is Saturday in Norman at 2 p.m. against the University of South Florida.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 05:55 pm

:sherri: got credit & rightfully so,of bringing the program to great heights. :sherri: should also get credit for the steady downward spiral this program has taken the last few years. jmo

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 10:06 pm

sybil wrote:
:sherri: got credit & rightfully so,of bringing the program to great heights. :sherri: should also get credit for the steady downward spiral this program has taken the last few years. jmo

+1. And now I am sure she has Joe's attention. Just hope Sherri can get things turned around soon. Unfortunately I think soon is 2-3 years at best.

Last edited on Fri Dec 8th, 2017 10:33 am by SoonerSpock

Current time is 12:24 am