Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Good read on Stoops killing the Big XII Defenses.

Good read on Stoops killing the Big XII Defenses.
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 02:00 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20050243/how-bob-stoops-killed-big-12-defenses

One of the comments by Leach hit me in a good way.  Mike says before he accepted the OC job from Bob that he asked Bob many times that he would let him run the offense without Bob's interference.  And, Mike says he never did.

I think that kink of pops the bubble of the idea that Bob has always interfered with his OC's.  I never bought that and don't now.  I don't think Bob has his hands on Long, Big Boy, Wilson and for sure didn't interfere with Riley and his offense.

Anyway, it is an interesting read.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 02:48 pm

I don't think Bob Stoops ever interfered in the first half or when the games were close. ;)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 02:53 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: I don't think Bob Stoops ever interfered in the first half or when the games were close. ;)
You never fail me. :P

When I wrote the above my thoughts were "ole Clint A. Adams would be the first one to suggest Stoops interference in the offense".  I just didn't think you would give him credit for the first half of games. :lol:

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 03:55 pm

"Bringing guys from Kansas State and other places, I didn't want a melting pot of other offenses," Stoops said. "If I made any right decision, it was that. We were going to be all-in on what they were doing at Kentucky and Mike."

"I knew that by bringing [the Leach offense] here, it would attract quarterbacks," Stoops said. "The evolution of it for us, I knew when we brought it here, we would be able to -- being that we were Oklahoma -- put more of a run game with it. And recruit to a run game."

Stoops had suggested to then-offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson that the Sooners snap the ball as fast as possible between plays, to give Bradford more opportunities to gash opposing defenses.

"When I hired Lincoln, I made it very apparent why - I wanted to get back into this system," Stoops said. "Little by little, we had drifted away from it.  But I believe in it."

These items right here tell a story of Stoops' Air-Raid philosophy.  I don't think starting with a hands-off mentality with Mike Leach, now recognized as a driving force in terms of the evolution of college football offense, and seeing the success of that confirming the decision, lends itself to staying hands-off when offensive coordinators are not of the same caliber as Leach.  If we look at the others we have, ranked in order of ability and effectiveness, Mangino, Wilson, Long, and Heupel.  It seems unlikely that Bob would have interfered much with Mangino.  Perhaps a little more occurred with Wilson and Long, and it seems likely a good bit might have taken place with Heupel. 
But the notion that he was saying "I don't care, run it up the middle" seems very unlikely.  If I had to point to one game that I would suspect Bob being involved in the play-calling and offensive operations more than any other it would be the 2013 Bedlam game.  Recall that Kendal Thompson came in to start the second half and played most of the third quarter, tossing a 16-yard pass to get into OSU territory before a Jalen Saunders run for 37 yards put us inside the 10.  Thompson passed incomplete to Rip, Bell comes in and does nothing, and then Hunnicutt makes the catch on the fake field goal.  Thompson doesn't see the field again.  Obviously the head coach makes the decision on the fake, but I'm certain Bob also made the decision to go with Bell the rest of the way, and I suspect he may have been very involved with the play-calling. 
When Bob hired Lincoln Riley I do think he wanted to get back to the system but not just in the scheme.  He also wanted to be back in the situation where he didn't need to be involved in the offense, to have a guy he could trust like he could trust Leach.  And Riley turned out to be what Bob thought he was.

gcruse7

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 07:35 pm

Cemetery Guy wrote:
But the notion that he was saying "I don't care, run it up the middle" seems very unlikely.

The one exception being when you're up 77-0 against A&M :lol::lol:

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 07:35 pm

Walt wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote: I don't think Bob Stoops ever interfered in the first half or when the games were close. ;)

When I wrote the above my thoughts were "ole Clint A. Adams would be the first one to suggest Stoops interference in the offense".  I just didn't think you would give him credit for the first half of games. :lol:

Glad to not disappoint! :lol:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 07:47 pm

gcruse7 wrote: Cemetery Guy wrote:
But the notion that he was saying "I don't care, run it up the middle" seems very unlikely.

The one exception being when you're up 77-0 against A&M :lol::lol:

Good one.  And, not only did he meddle in the offense, he meddled with the officials and their game clock as well :P.  I think that was the only time a coach in an FBS game begged the officials to let the game clock run. ;)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 07:49 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote: Walt wrote:

Glad to not disappoint! :lol:

Mr. Adams, you may be criticized for lots of things, but being consistent is not one of them. :cool:

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: DAYTONA 500 BABY! NASCAR RULES!! for those who have brain ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 09:24 pm

Cemetery Guy wrote:
"Bringing guys from Kansas State and other places, I didn't want a melting pot of other offenses," Stoops said. "If I made any right decision, it was that. We were going to be all-in on what they were doing at Kentucky and Mike."

"I knew that by bringing [the Leach offense] here, it would attract quarterbacks," Stoops said. "The evolution of it for us, I knew when we brought it here, we would be able to -- being that we were Oklahoma -- put more of a run game with it. And recruit to a run game."

Stoops had suggested to then-offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson that the Sooners snap the ball as fast as possible between plays, to give Bradford more opportunities to gash opposing defenses.

"When I hired Lincoln, I made it very apparent why - I wanted to get back into this system," Stoops said. "Little by little, we had drifted away from it.  But I believe in it."

These items right here tell a story of Stoops' Air-Raid philosophy.  I don't think starting with a hands-off mentality with Mike Leach, now recognized as a driving force in terms of the evolution of college football offense, and seeing the success of that confirming the decision, lends itself to staying hands-off when offensive coordinators are not of the same caliber as Leach.  If we look at the others we have, ranked in order of ability and effectiveness, Mangino, Wilson, Long, and Heupel.  It seems unlikely that Bob would have interfered much with Mangino.  Perhaps a little more occurred with Wilson and Long, and it seems likely a good bit might have taken place with Heupel. 
But the notion that he was saying "I don't care, run it up the middle" seems very unlikely.  If I had to point to one game that I would suspect Bob being involved in the play-calling and offensive operations more than any other it would be the 2013 Bedlam game.  Recall that Kendal Thompson came in to start the second half and played most of the third quarter, tossing a 16-yard pass to get into OSU territory before a Jalen Saunders run for 37 yards put us inside the 10.  Thompson passed incomplete to Rip, Bell comes in and does nothing, and then Hunnicutt makes the catch on the fake field goal.  Thompson doesn't see the field again.  Obviously the head coach makes the decision on the fake, but I'm certain Bob also made the decision to go with Bell the rest of the way, and I suspect he may have been very involved with the play-calling. 
When Bob hired Lincoln Riley I do think he wanted to get back to the system but not just in the scheme.  He also wanted to be back in the situation where he didn't need to be involved in the offense, to have a guy he could trust like he could trust Leach.  And Riley turned out to be what Bob thought he was.

If I were a betting man I'd say the above is correct. I saw an article about 10 to 12 years ago regarding Bob and Leach and Bob said he wanted Leach over everyone because he trusted him running the offense and wasn't sure with anyone else he would resist getting involved.

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 04:27 am

I thought that Bob brought in Leach because the Kentucky offense under Leach/Mumme was the hardest offense to defend for Bob as Defensive Coordinator at Florida.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jul 18th, 2017 08:27 am

AllSooner wrote:
I thought that Bob brought in Leach because the Kentucky offense under Leach/Mumme was the hardest offense to defend for Bob as Defensive Coordinator at Florida.

That is my recollection as well.

Current time is 06:03 am