Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Women's Sports > Most powerful hitter of high school players in 2017-Jocelyn Alo

Most powerful hitter of high school players in 2017-Jocelyn Alo
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, CalSOONER  

Print
AuthorPost
cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 9th, 2017 12:09 am

And I did leave Shultz out of that last post. Probably the most balanced player of the 3. A prominent club ball coach predicted she'd be an all american at OU. And we do have people like Rogers and Taukeiaho in the equation also.

Last edited on Sun Jul 9th, 2017 12:10 am by cclift38

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 9th, 2017 12:37 am

By the time we get through with this, it may end up being a scouting report.

Knighten at first:  She has become an excellent first baseman.  She is especially good at the type of plays an infielder would make, picking up ground balls.  She and Romero have impressed me at the corners with their ability to field some shots that get there in a hurry.  They both have a tendency to get these.  Romero's average dropped from about 983 to 939 which I think was due to the injury.  Knighten's weakness at first was in playing the bag, learning to accept throws.  She had to learn how to position herself to receive a throw, which she does pretty well now.  When she does make a mistake, it is usually because she is not in position to catch a bad throw.  She commits to the stretch too early, and a throw goes sailing by that she couldn't adjust to because she was already moving into the stretch.  Being an infielder, she can field ground balls.  I think she was about 985 this year.

When she first arrived, she seemed to be error-prone at second.  I think that was beginner's nerves.  She fields those shots too easily now.  I don't know how easy her moves would be at second.  At second, she also has to be able to throw.  I don't know how she does that.  But, the errors that she was making were corrected too easily.

I think Clifton has the ability to play short or second.  She has more range than Arnold.  I think she also has a stronger arm.  But, I'm not certain of that.  She was about 977 this year.  I think Clifton can play any position, but would be best at short or second.

Arnold was best at third when she was a freshman.  That's when she was a 996 fielder.  She is below team average in fielding percentage in the past two years.  You don't expect that from your shortstop.  Usually, you expect a third baseman to have a lower fielding percentage.  A lot of shots are hit that could be called either hits or errors, mostly at first and third.  On most teams, your third baseman has the lowest percentage.   I kind of preferred leaving Arnold at third, and I think she was better there than at short.  I think her range is not her strong suit.  I don't think she goes back well either.   Patty loves her, and she will remain at short.  But, she would be the first one that I looked at if I were to try to get someone into the lineup.

I think the problem with Aviu in the outfield was that she didn't seem to see where the balls were going.  She misplayed a lot of fly  balls.  She would commit a bit late or take a step the wrong way.  She just didn't seem that experienced playing outfield.  Hatfield wasn't perfect, but she was a lot better.  There were some doubles that Macy could have caught if she hadn't been afraid of the wall in left center.  It wasn't a threat when she seemed to think it would be. 

In 2016, we did replace an entire infield.  Worked out pretty well.  We had Arnold, Pendley, Casey, and  Chamberlain (who could switch feet well, didn't see a lot of throws get past her).  In 2017, we had Romero, Arnold, Clifton, and Knighten.  Which was better?  I think we were better in 2017.

Wodach:  when she took it back up the middle, she was effective.  But, she often tried to pull an outside pitch.  She really wanted to pull everything.  Coach needs to get her to thinking hit the ball where it is pitched, and don't let two strikes go by.  Play pepper with the pitcher, but hard.  Most of what she hits really hard were foul by fifty feet.  She must have hit twenty or thirty doubles that were foul by twenty to thirty feet.

FANATIC

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 9th, 2017 01:49 am

:ou: However it shakes out, this going to be one heck of a fun team to watch. As we have seen the last couple of years, in each freshman class there are going to be players ready to challenge for a starting spot, this year will be no different. One thing we know for sure, the coaching staff will play whoever gives them the best chance to win no matter what their name is and how long they have been here.

VNSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 15th, 2017 05:55 pm

Watching OC Batbusters play in Shawnee Mission via FloSoftball.  Alo's first appearance at plate today and she goes yard.  I think she is going to be unbelievable!!!

Olivia Rains, a 2019 commit to OU from Pryor, is the OC Batbusters' starting pitcher.

Last edited on Sat Jul 15th, 2017 05:59 pm by VNSooner

FANATIC

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 15th, 2017 11:23 pm

:ou: I think she will take over at DP, Aviu will probably get the start in left field to keep her bat in the lineup and Schultz coming in for defensive purposes late In games.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 01:57 am

I see Aviu starting the season in RF. Alo will be the DP. So each will start the season but Elam will give her a run for the catcher position because physically she has all the tools that Wodach doesn't have.

Last edited on Sun Jul 16th, 2017 01:57 am by Killatella

VNSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 02:28 am

I think Mendes has a lock on RF.  I think the open position is LF. 

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 05:43 pm

I would move Pendley to left and Mendes into Center.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 05:57 pm

With the way Patty moved Mendes to CF and Pendley to right when the Sooners go into the right-handed hitter shift with Lowary on the mound because of Mendes' speed and then switches back after the shift I have got to think the Pendley reads the ball better off the bat than does Mendes and gets a better jump on the ball.

Last edited on Sun Jul 16th, 2017 05:57 pm by SoonerSpock

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 06:04 pm

That could be, I just think that Mendes is the better athlete.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 10:49 pm

Without question Mendes is the best athlete on the team. So for me there has to be a softball reason why Mendes did not play CF last year after she got into the starting lineup. Patty making the shift was a declaration the Mendes was faster afoot.

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 16th, 2017 11:28 pm

At first, Mendes misplayed a couple of balls that were hit over her head--one becoming a home run and the other a double against the wall.  Had she not wavered in locating the ball, she would probably have caught both.  She didn't seem to have trouble coming in, but balls hit at her on the line or deep on the line seemed to be a problem.  Later on, she appeared to have learned to judge those balls.  But, I think Patty does have a bit more faith in Pendley's recognition, although I think she misplayed a couple of short ones.  But, Pendley has had three years to experience enough balls coming at her to have good recognition.  Hatfield and Mendes (as well as Aviu) showed a little uncertainty.

Right now, I would put Mendes in center, except for one thing.  Mendes does seem to have a stronger arm than Pendley and is more likely to hold a runner at second, reducing the number of first and third hits.  I think Mendes now has the recognition.  But, I also think Patty might  not want to "insult" Pendley.  The difference may not be worth changing a three-year regular.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 03:23 pm

I just read every word on this thread and I have to give it up to all of you on this thread.

This post is the best example I have ever read of what a sports message board should be about.  Lots of great discussion.  Lots of well thought out opinions expressed about players and coaches.  And, the best part of it is that it was all friendly and civil.  It is rare to find such threads on a message board.  Lots of respect given to opposing viewpoints.

Like I have said on this board many times, this is likely the best forum on any OU sports message board.  I love the girls sports as I think they still represent games that are as close to pure sport and played by kids who love the sport and the competition. 

Anyway, you all make this forum fun to read.

Thanks.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 03:37 pm

I agree, Walt. Nothing like bouncing opposing views off one another. One of the many positive things that I learned in the military is to never make someone feel belittled for having a view or idea that in the end doesn't apply to that particular situation.

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 09:21 pm

I think we have at least three subscribers to the FloSoftball site which requires some commitment.  I haven't done that, especially since they tell me everything I want to know on this board.  But, that is a level of commitment just to do it.

We have had at least one parent (Brit Finney's father), and I think we have another.  I know that Vestal's father lurked on OUHoops, and I referred him to this site for softball.  But, this site has nearly all of the good softball posters who have posted on any site.  There is one more that I wish we could get.  With this group, there is always something new to learn when you examine the board.

Most of us grew up playing softball or baseball.  Slow Pitch, Fast Pitch, and baseball are all a bit different, but the principles are the same.  We have a feel for the game as a result.

Yet, watching women's softball has been a learning experience for me.  We never used to slap hit.  If you hit a ball to third, you were probably going to be out by twenty feet.  You might outrun a ball hit to short if you were fast.  But, I never even thought of hitting while running.  Saw some drag bunting, but that was the closest think I saw to it.  I would like to see a men's fast pitch game to see if they do that now.  I've never seen men do it.

But, the way that the women's game is played has caused me to re-think some certainties.  I was fascinated by the left-handed catchers of Florida and Michigan.  I've never seen that in men's baseball or softball.  But, it seemed to give the left-handed catcher a bit of an advantage in the speed game.

First, if you are in a speed or slap-hitting game where everyone is trying to run, most of the slap-hitters are left-handed.  So, a left-handed catcher wouldn't be impeded as much by the hitter on a steal, one of the reasons given for the right-handed catcher with a mostly-right-handed lineup.  Also, on a  bunt, the left-handed catcher wouldn't need to whirl before throwing to first.  Just pick it up, plant your left foot, and throw.  Are these sufficient reasons to have a left-handed catcher?  Do the usual reasons for a right-handed catcher apply as much in the women's game?

Then, I saw that we have a left-handed shortstop coming in.  She can play shortstop.  The assumption is that she will become a first baseman or outfielder.  Is that a given?  I wonder.  If you hit a ball to deep short in the 5-6 hole, you are probably going to beat it out.  Even good shortstops have difficulty throwing someone out from deep in the 5-6 hole.  But, let's look at the balls hit up the middle.  If you get to a ball hit near second, the right-handed shortstop has to shift her feet before throwing to first.  But, a left-handed shortstop would be making a regular across-the-body throw to first.  Would it be easier to get an out on a hit back up the middle with a left-handed shortstop?  Would that be more likely than to get an out on something in the 5-6 hole?

How much different is the women's game?

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 09:44 pm

I was actually one of the posters who didn't think you'd see Jayda at shortstop because she's left handed and because we have Grace Lyons coming in. I seen Jayda play and have changed my mind. I've also seen Lyons play and I think it is very possible she may slide to 3rd and Coleman at short. Any shortcomings that being left handed causes her she can overcome just because she's a freak of nature athletically. She has an incredible range. When she steps on OU's field she will be the best athlete on it. And that's saying something with the recruits we're bringing in. I may raise some eyebrows here but Lyons an 3rd and Coleman at SS maybe a better left side of the infield than we currently have.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 09:55 pm

I played shortstop or third base for as long as I can remember whether it was baseball as a little guy up through high school or 30 years of slowpitch softball in the military. I throw right handed so I couldn't imagine having to make some of those throws from the 5/6 as a lefty.

Jayda Coleman is the lefty from 2020 you're thinking of who plays AS. She has said she wants to play short in college, and I'm sure Coach Gasso will let her give it a go, but I honestly can't see it. I would have her pegged for CF with that speed. Plus, Grace Lyons will have SS locked up by the time Coleman gets on campus.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 09:58 pm

Sorry CC, by the time I posted my message you had already beat me to it. Lol

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 10:25 pm

I, too, was an infielder, except for intramurals in my freshman year in college when the counselor insisted that I play left because he wanted someone out there who could catch the ball.  Only time I've been in the outfield, but he had been the state shotput and discus champion a couple of years earlier and big enough that I agreed to whatever he wanted.

I tended to play short, second, and third.  Often, it was the pitcher that decided which.  Had one who hit the corners, but wasn't that fast.  He liked having me at third because I didn't mind getting hit by shots down the line.  In baseball, I was usually at short or second.  Every position has little nuances that makes it different.  The ball seems to come off the bat differently if headed to second as opposed to short.

But, the reason that that I question if a left-handed shortstop wouldn't be as effective is that I don't see anyone, right or left-handed, throwing people out from the 5-6 hole.  You see that in baseball.  You see it when the ball is hit hard in softball.  But, a slap-hitter beats out that 5-6 shot almost every time.  Too slow getting out, too fast of a runner.  I don't know if it is the game or what.

Slow pitch in the Army?  When I was in, 67-70, it was all fast pitch.  When did they change?

VNSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 10:25 pm

Coleman has also been playing first base, a position I could see her playing for us.  Tiare Jennings, another 2020 commit, should see a lot of playing time in the infield.  I can see her moving into FloSoftball's top 10.  She is an incredible athlete who is a big time hitter as well.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 10:29 pm

I retired from the Air Force in 2010 and it was slowpitch the entire time. I would've loved to see fastpitch.

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 17th, 2017 10:42 pm

I've played in fastpitch and slowpitch leagues.  I preferred fastpitch.  Wonder if the Army changed to slowpitch?  We had only fastpitch when I was in.  I didn't like going back and forth.  Slowpitch fouled up my swing on fast pitch--or vice versa.

FANATIC

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 01:53 am

:ou: It's great to see that we we have these great athletes coming in infield and outfield positions, but we will fall short of winning championships in the future if we're not talented enough in the circle. The fortunate thing is that I think we will continue to get quality pitching transfers who want to pitch in the CWS with a shot at a Natty.

Last edited on Wed Jul 19th, 2017 03:29 am by FANATIC

sybarite

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 02:16 am

I don't know yet how good Lopez and Mendes might be after a couple of years with Lombardi.  They might be as good or better than the Paiges.  We have no clue about Olmos.  All three seemed to do something of great value, throw strikes.  Mendes and Lopez seem to have a lot to work with.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 02:45 am

Lopez had a very good freshman year. She was a bit protected but pitched a lot of #2 type games. I think the concern is she sometimes goes over the white of the plate and gets hit. I think we have to be encouraged overall. I think her getting to pitch in some big playoff games will also help for the future. I have a hard time seeing Mendes playing more of a pitching roll than she does now. To valuable in the field. But she showed she can be a reliable reliever. Lets not forget Parker Conrad who transfers in and from what we've heard she throws hard and was pretty well thought of recruit. I don't think any of us have seen enough to give to much of an opinion. I can't help but think its not good news for Olmos that we're looking for pitching plus she was behind Mendes in the rotation. That being said in limited duty she did well and did seem to throw strikes. I think this next season could be a make or break season going forward.

I think the big name going forward is Brooke Vestal. If she comes in as advertised and can be a solid #2 or even challenge for the ace spot we'll still be very solid. If she struggles we have some question marks. Grace Green could also come into play. I've always thought she'll be more of a position player but Flosoftball does speak highly of her pitching ability. 2019 is bringing a number of pitchers in and I'd have to say right now Olivia Rains is trending up. I'm going to predict She takes a big move up in the next Hot 100. You also have Thiede and McAdoo coming in that year. I can't see anyway we miss on all those prospects.

Last edited on Wed Jul 19th, 2017 03:23 am by cclift38

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 03:19 am

Next year I suspect that Mendes will make about the same number of plate appearances as this year (13 games/18 innings). And the only reason that she will make that many appearances is as a backup plan in the event that the other 2018 pitchers aren't able to do the job.

The Paiges will leave after this year and potential pitchers once they are gone are - Lopez, Conrad, Olmos,Vestal, Green, and maybe some transfer. There are a lot of players in that list and unless all of them are flops, there is no need for Mendes to pitch. Now if all 5 or 6 of those guys are flops then Mendes could be our ace but I think that is an extremely unlikely scenario.

My guess is - Mendes will be out in the outfield in 2018; she won't pitch at all.

BTW - I know most people has given up on Olmos (based on her limited number of innings this year) but I think that it is possible that she might get her chance in 2018. At that point - Lopez, Conrad and Olmos - will be the vets. If Olmos can figure out how to spin it and hit the corners, she might get some time before Vestals and Green crowd her out of the lineup.

SoonerSpock

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jul 19th, 2017 08:13 am

OU_Tom wrote:
Next year I suspect that Mendes will make about the same number of plate appearances as this year (13 games/18 innings). And the only reason that she will make that many appearances is as a backup plan in the event that the other 2018 pitchers aren't able to do the job.

The Paiges will leave after this year and potential pitchers once they are gone are - Lopez, Conrad, Olmos,Vestal, Green, and maybe some transfer. There are a lot of players in that list and unless all of them are flops, there is no need for Mendes to pitch. Now if all 5 or 6 of those guys are flops then Mendes could be our ace but I think that is an extremely unlikely scenario.

My guess is - Mendes will be out in the outfield in 2018; she won't pitch at all.

BTW - I know most people has given up on Olmos (based on her limited number of innings this year) but I think that it is possible that she might get her chance in 2018. At that point - Lopez, Conrad and Olmos - will be the vets. If Olmos can figure out how to spin it and hit the corners, she might get some time before Vestals and Green crowd her out of the lineup.

Per Gasso coming out of high school it was Olmos reputation that she could spin the ball. “Melanie is another athlete I’ve watched compete for a championship in high school,” Gasso said. “Each year she’s gotten better and better. She may not overpower you with her speed like Mariah does, but Melanie is more of a crafty pitcher who can spin it. You can never really square it up and hit it hard off of her because of her placement and the way she moves the ball. If she has the potential to be a contributor in the circle in 2018 I suspect she needs to do a better job of hitting her spots and the development of another pitch to keep batters off balance.

From my perspective looking at OU's past pitchers they mostly seem to need another pitch and learn how to not get the ball in the white of the plate when they arrive in Norman.

Paige Parker's shortcoming has always been when her control does not allow her to throw bad pitches for strikes keeping the hitters off stride. Be a 0.5"-1.0" off her target zone and she starts getting too much of the plate and surrenders too many homeruns.

She has allowed better than 20 per season every year at OU and 22 last season. Only Washington's Taran Alvelo was in Paige's ball park in HR's allowed with 23.

In fact Florida with 11, FSU 15, Oregon 17 and LSU 20 are WCWS teams that allowed fewer HR's last year than did Parker. Baylor only allowed 26 for the year. And Parker only threw 43.6% (210.0) of OU's innings (482.2).

Last edited on Wed Jul 19th, 2017 08:18 am by SoonerSpock

Current time is 10:49 am
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2