Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Bob Stoops seems certain that Rodney Anderson can be an impact presence in the Sooner backfield

Bob Stoops seems certain that Rodney Anderson can be an impact presence in the Sooner backfield
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 05:23 pm

Bob Stoops seems certain that Rodney Anderson can be an impact presence in the Sooner backfield
by Tulsa World Sports Columnist Bill Haisten   Posted: Wednesday February 22, 2017 8:00 am

During a recent interview on the Tulsa Sports Animal, Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops was asked about the status of the Sooner backfield.

As Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon prepare for the NFL draft, leaving OU without a legitimately proven running back, Stoops discussed sophomore Rodney Anderson.

Stoops didn’t seem hopeful that Anderson will be a factor this year. Stoops seemed completely certain of it.

Because of a leg injury sustained in 2015 and neck injury sustained during the 2016 preseason, Anderson has played in only two games as a Sooner. He hails from Katy, Texas, and if you watch his high school video, he looks like the type of back who could thrive behind the excellent OU offensive line.

At 220 pounds, Anderson has great balance and a nice ability to change directions. Running out of an old-school I-formation offense in high school, he scored speed touchdowns and physical touchdowns.

After studying the Anderson video, I understand why Stoops is optimistic. If you can tell me now that Anderson stays healthy, then I would expect Baker Mayfield to benefit from the presence of a 1,000-yard rusher.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/bill-haisten-bob-stoops-seems-certain-that-rodney-anderson-can/article_e40d65d1-274e-536d-92aa-7771978131d6.html

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 06:21 pm

I have no doubt that Anderson can carry much of the load at RB.  The only question [duh, right] is whether he can stay healthy.  I'm not going to ignore Adams and the rest of the new RBs either.  We have lots of talent at RB.  Also, RB is one of those skill positions where true freshmen and JUCO players can come right in and produce yards.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 08:46 pm

Anderson has been talked about along the lines of AD, Demarco, Perine and Murray, which means he's already legit athletically, because Bob Stoops never blows smoke when talking about running backs.

The 2 big questions will be :

1. Can he stay healthy>?
2. Does he still have the confidence?

Neither are knowns at this point.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2017 02:11 am

...agree with you Clint. Bob's never been bashful about praising RB's he likes.

The bigger question of the two you posed is injury.
I'm certain that's the only real question. The accolades given Rodney would indicate he's the next great Sooner running back. If he can stay healthy,...he just might fill the gap left by the departure of Perine & Mixon.

I don't have any doubt about his confidence in his ability, and think he's enthusiastically anticipating his chance to emerge as the next torch-bearer in the history of Sooner running game studs.

And even if, he is injured again, (perish the thought) I'm pretty certain there's enough talent on the 2017 Team to pick up the slack.

I'm a little more concerned about WR this fall,

AND,...

THE SOONER DEFENSE and THE KICKING GAME!

OU, OU, OU!!!

whitefeather

Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2017 04:28 pm

Let's win them all, but especially whip Texass and tOSU. At home! Ha!:sherri:

whitefeather

Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2017 05:00 pm

Their home.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2017 08:46 pm

IMO, by the end of the year the top three RBs will be Anderson, Sermon and Brooks. Assuming no injuries of course.

Current time is 01:44 pm