Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Joe Mixon publicly apologizes for 2014 altercation at press conference

Joe Mixon publicly apologizes for 2014 altercation at press conference
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner Topic closed

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 08:51 pm
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-football-joe-mixon-publicly-apologizes-for-altercation-at-press/article_c3d2cac4-c937-11e6-a8df-db982e070ba6.html

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:15 pm
...as saddened and somewhat sickened by what Joe did two and a half years ago, his press conference allowed me to regain respect for him. Not an easy thing, to stand at a podium and apologize for a terrible mistake, and then take open questions without any script. He faced the music all alone and was profuse in apologizing. My salute Joe!

And by God, I've had about enough of one of the local sports talk stations and their castigation of Mixon, Stoops, Joe C.,and Boren, over this incident. 107.7

The Franchise is the flagship station for OU football. Maybe they shouldn't be. Maybe the University should consider their options given the consistent criticism & condemnation this station has fired out there. Just sayin'

OU, OU, OU!!!

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:19 pm
OU Chinaman wrote:

And by God, I've had about enough of one of the local sports talk stations and their castigation of Mixon, Stoops, Joe C.,and Boren, over this incident. 107.7

OU, OU, OU!!!

Stop listening to them. The same thing will happen to them that is happening to espIn.

Last edited on Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:35 pm by SoonerRick46

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:20 pm
OU Chinaman wrote: ...as saddened and somewhat sickened by what Joe did two and a half years ago, his press conference allowed me to regain respect for him. Not an easy thing, to stand at a podium and apologize for a terrible mistake, and then take open questions without any script. He faced the music all alone and was profuse in apologizing. My salute Joe!

The Franchise is the flagship station for OU football. Maybe they shouldn't be. Maybe the University should consider their options given the consistent criticism & condemnation this station has fired out there. Just sayin'

OU, OU, OU!!!

The rotten apple in the Franchise barrel is Sam Mayes!  If they would do the right thing and fire that snake, they would improve their audience.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 09:24 pm
AllSooner wrote:
OU Chinaman wrote: ...as saddened and somewhat sickened by what Joe did two and a half years ago, his press conference allowed me to regain respect for him. Not an easy thing, to stand at a podium and apologize for a terrible mistake, and then take open questions without any script. He faced the music all alone and was profuse in apologizing. My salute Joe!

OU, OU, OU!!!

The rotten apple in the Franchise barrel is Sam Mayes!  If they would do the right thing and fire that snake, they would improve their audience.

The rotten apple in the franchise barrel is Sam Mayes!

Couldn't agree more. And I have stopped listening to them, effective today!

OU, OU, OU!!!

KyleOU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: Jesus is Lord
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 10:32 pm
The press conference showed me Mixon is truly remorseful. Sad to see the aggies on twitter acting so angry that Mixon apologized. As if that's gonna change 100 years of dominance.

Last edited on Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 10:33 pm by KyleOU

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: DAYTONA 500 for those who have brain damage.
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:10 am
I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:35 am
tennsooner wrote: I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.Nope you are not alone...I agree with you

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:43 am
tennsooner wrote: I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.
I doubt you will ever hear an apology from Amelia Rae.....her lawyers are prolly telling her to keep her mouth shut.....besides, with all that's being said in the media, talk shows, and message boards.....it looks like very few think she did anything to apologize for.

Last edited on Sat Dec 24th, 2016 01:13 am by AllSooner

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 01:44 am
...the current climate fueled by media has established the absolute axiom that you never hit a woman, ever, period!

Mixon repeated that mantra more than once today in his presser.

You could make the argument that MAYBE Joe didn't get what he deserved,...

but everyone reaps what they sow,...

so you could also make the argument that maybe she got exactly what she deserved.

OU, OU, OU!!!

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 11:27 am
This is one of those deals that there is simply no way to make everyone happy.

Everyone agreed that he shouldn't have hit her.

Some folks said he should have been gone, others said give him a second chance. Now it's two and a half years later and Joe apologizes. Some folks say he shouldn't have, others say he should have.

My advice to Joe is to do what he thinks is right and don't worry about the rest of it, because he simply won't make everyone happy.

paboomersooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 11:31 am
A situation where serious bodily harm and/or death are two of a few times a woman should be hit. This incident does not fit either of those scenarios.

I'll ask all on here the same question I ask all the Joebot psu fans; What if she was your wife/daughter/sister..? Would she have deserved that punishment for her actions that morning?

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:46 pm
tennsooner wrote:
I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.you are not alone. That woman is trailer trash, she continued to provoke a fight and got what was coming.

I think that the only lesson to be learned is when you see trailer trash, get away as fast as possible before their slime gets a chance to ooze on you.

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 01:15 pm
OU_Tom wrote:
tennsooner wrote:
I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.you are not alone. That woman is trailer trash, she continued to provoke a fight and got what was coming.

I think that the only lesson to be learned is when you see trailer trash, get away as fast as possible before their slime gets a chance to ooze on you.

You are exactly right. I'm guessing most people have never been around someone like her but I have been unfortunate enough to be around a couple of women like her and it sure didn't take long to put myself at a distance from them.
I will say this after raising two daughters and one son I'd be far more ashamed if this was my daughter in this scenario than if it were my son. You can tell from the reported comments she made she thought she was tough and seems she had done this sort of thing before. I'm willing to bet this was a life changing experience for her and she's learned not to hit people. That's something her parents should have taught her long ago.

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 01:30 pm
tennsooner wrote:
I'm sure I'm alone on this but I think she had more to apologize for than he did.

(y)

oubutch

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 04:45 pm
This may sound funny to some, but when I was growing up in the 50's the "don't hit girls" was prevalent, this lead some girls to become bullies.

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 05:42 pm
paboomersooner wrote:

I'll ask all on here the same question I ask all the Joebot psu fans; What if she was your wife/daughter/sister..? Would she have deserved that punishment for her actions that morning?

I detect an implicit assumption that because to the injuries Molitor suffered that she has been harmed more than Mixon and that this puts the situation out of balance. That may be true, but life is not far, never has been, and the urge to ensure that there is equal suffering is understandable but both unachievable and if sought tends to cause more harm than good.

Like many others here have said, if Molitor had been my family member I would been empathetic regarding her pain but would have questioned(although perhaps not to her directly) why she was behaving so badly in public in such a way to put herself in the position to be on the losing end of a needless confrontation with an elite athlete.

I also am a firm believer that if someone gets in some sort of trouble, suffers repercussions, and negotiates those difficulties, they ought to be able to go on with their lives. Mixon was punished both by the law and the university in what was deemed appropriate at the time and what may be considered to be some to be insufficient but which was definitely more than a slap on the wrist. The urge to see him to made to suffer permanently, to throw him out as if he, a person like you and I, was just trash is not a desire for justice but a seeking of vengeance. We, as a society, are in my opinion far too interested in vengeance and not nearly enough in justice, which would require seeking the optimal outcome for everyone, not just crucifixion of those whom the media demonizes for the masses.

Manoewar

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 05:43 pm
I would never condone what he did especially with that amount of force. But what's most disturbing to me is the "never ever" crowd and allowing her to be the "victim" SOLEY based on being a woman. I fully understand that there is a double standard ..which is why I totally hate the idea for women being in combat where its not just a form of a political correct job opportunity. One might say that's different because these ladies are volunteering themselves for that. But the truth is through her actions this young lady volunteered to engage herself in a combative way and was dealt with the reality of mother nature versus the PC world she has grown up in.

Also, Had say one of our girls basketball players hit a guy with a beer bottle resulting in stitches after being slapped would the boy have been considered a victim? Would anyone be saying that she should have been kicked of the team for striking him with unnecessary force. Most all of us would have said he got what he deserved and learned his lesson. Furthermore he would not be on campus and very likely would have been thrown in jail. Its a simple fact that some of these people want it both ways and society is teaching them that they can have it which is totally irresponsible.

As for Joe, it would behoove him to stay for the entire 2 years and immediately start volunteering for every good citizen project he can. If he can keep himself clean during that time and can be seen as a person who has truly turned himself around it could salvage his draft grade and show GM's he has put this behind him. It's unfortunate but saying that he did his punishment wont be enough.

I hope they have both learned a valuable lesson.. but I unfortunately I believe that the "VALUE ..$$" she and others like her will learn will not be for the better.

Last edited on Sat Dec 24th, 2016 05:46 pm by Manoewar

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 06:55 pm
oubutch wrote:
This may sound funny to some, but when I was growing up in the 50's the "don't hit girls" was prevalent, this lead some girls to become bullies.

Good point and I have seen some of that as well.

paboomersooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 11:17 pm
I don't believe if Joe Mixon was dismissed from the team at the time of the incident it would have been revenge. I believe that would have been justification. If not this action, what act?

I also don't believe prison time would have been too harsh either. He caused serious bodily injury to a drunk female approaching 100 pounds less in body weight. In PA, that is aggravated assault. I would venture a guess and say in OK that is a similar charge.

Without trying to sound too dramatic, he could have killed her. People have died from less violent contact.

I would also add that perhaps Joe did not learn his lesson by evidence of his treatment of a law enforcement official earlier this year.

My question to all still stands.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 01:34 am
paboomersooner wrote: I don't believe if Joe Mixon was dismissed from the team at the time of the incident it would have been revenge. I believe that would have been justification. If not this action, what act?

I also don't believe prison time would have been too harsh either. He caused serious bodily injury to a drunk female approaching 100 pounds less in body weight. In PA, that is aggravated assault. I would venture a guess and say in OK that is a similar charge.

Without trying to sound too dramatic, he could have killed her. People have died from less violent contact.

I would also add that perhaps Joe did not learn his lesson by evidence of his treatment of a law enforcement official earlier this year.

When this first happened 30 months ago I might have totally agreed with you.  But, today I don't.  Have you watched the video of MIxon's interview with the Norman Detectives ... I think it was a on the Tuesday after the incident?

At the end of that interview the Detectives and Mixon's lawyers had 5 or so minute discussion of what they were going to recommend to the DA on charges on Mixon.  We don't know what the Detectives ultimately recommended to the DA, but we do know that the DA decided to charge Mixon with one misdemeanor count.  And, he said that the reason he did that is that he didn't want to charge Molitor with assault and battery which he felt he would have to do if the filed any kind of assault charges against Mixon.

That is what Mixon's lawyers debated with the Detectives.  It is pretty clear that Molitor's role in the altercation was the deciding factor.  If she hadn't first pushed him and second slapped him the DA would have likely filed assault and battery or aggravated assault and batter charges against Mixon.

In this case, I think a harsh prison sentence, under the circumstances and Joe's previous history would have been very difficult to justify.  In my mind it would be a travesty.

The sad thing about this whole deal is that this was just a bunch of college age kids with one of them [Molitor] being heavily under the influence of alcohol [or drugs or both] getting in an altercation over name calling.  It was plain ole stupid on both parties fault.

This was not a situation where Mixon set out to punch Molitor.  It wasn't a premeditated act, just a stupid and dumb reaction by a young kid.

I think that Mixon has had some pretty tough punishment if you ask me.  I also think it is time for both of these kids to get this mess behind them and move on with their lives.

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 01:44 am
paboomersooner wrote:

I'll truthfully answer that question and tell you if it was my wife,sister or daughter I'd ask them just what were they thinking ? They put their self in that position and got what they could expect. In all cases everyone of them was taught to act better by me,their Dad and my Dad. She got what she needed as far as I'm concerned and learned a lesson she needed years ago.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 02:05 am
paboomersooner wrote:
A situation where serious bodily harm and/or death are two of a few times a woman should be hit. This incident does not fit either of those scenarios.

...it's a STRAW MAN question or arguement.

My wife, my sister, my mother, my aunt, my niece, my cousin, or even a female friend, would NEVER have put themselves in the position Ms. Molitor put herself in.

This idea that if it was someone I loved, than somehow I'd feel differently. That dog just won't hunt!

It's not defending Mixon's action. Most everyone agrees he over-reacted and was wrong. It's this misguided idea that solely because she is female, then somehow no matter her behavior, she should be immune to any consequences.

She's a girl, and therefore not accountable! REALLY?

Many buy that notion unequivocally. I can honestly say that maybe to a fault, I lean that way myself.

Just not in this case.

OU, OU, OU!!!

Last edited on Sun Dec 25th, 2016 03:14 am by OU Chinaman

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 02:53 am
tennsooner wrote: paboomersooner wrote:

I'll truthfully answer that question and tell you if it was my wife,sister or daughter I'd ask them just what were they thinking ? They put their self in that position and got what they could expect. In all cases everyone of them was taught to act better by me,their Dad and my Dad. She got what she needed as far as I'm concerned and learned a lesson she needed years ago.
Exactly

AllSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 03:42 am
tennsooner wrote: paboomersooner wrote:

I hope you are right....but until she stands before the media, like Joe, and admits she has learned something, I will have my doubts.  She had a distinct part in this situation, in my eyes anyway.  But I believe she will stand behind the shield of public opinion and think that she got away with something.  If I am right, she will meet another "Joe" down the line that may not be a high profile football player and the shield of public opinion will no longer exist and her injuries may be more severe.

Last edited on Sun Dec 25th, 2016 03:50 am by AllSooner

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 04:06 am
paboomersooner wrote:
I don't believe if Joe Mixon was dismissed from the team at the time of the incident it would have been revenge. I believe that would have been justification. If not this action, what act?

Complete suspension from the team for a year is not a slap on the wrist. You seem very certain that the not inconsiderable punishment he received is not sufficient. Why is that?

jdurrett

Country of Origin: Oklahoma
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 04:46 am
It seems that most all ignore the fact that she assaulted him, hit and slapped him BEFORE he hit her. There is a reason that the DA said that charges had to be modified lest she be guilty of mutual combat which permitted him to defend himself. This "Code of the West"crap is just that - crap. Guilt is not measured by injury in mutual combat.

paboomersooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Dec 25th, 2016 03:28 pm
Cemetery Guy wrote:
paboomersooner wrote:

Complete suspension from the team for a year is not a slap on the wrist. You seem very certain that the not inconsiderable punishment he received is not sufficient. Why is that?

He broke, her face. What she did to Mixon was little more than a slap on the wrist, in comparison.

Mixon should have controlled his emotions. More times than not, reacting emotionally will get one into trouble.

Just think what would be said if Mixon would have thought before he reacted. He may getting praised for his actions instead of getting hammered, along with the University.

How the script has flipped. I was the one who got flamed for making a sexist joke about a female play-by-play announcer that was actually directed at saxet.

How times have changed.

Current time is 12:05 pm