Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > Mayfield hopes teammates follow his lead, return for 2017 season

Mayfield hopes teammates follow his lead, return for 2017 season
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 07:09 pm

Baker Mayfield hopes teammates follow his lead, return for 2017 season
by Tulsa World Sports Writer Eric Bailey    Posted: Monday December 5, 2016 12:12 pm

SPRINGDALE, Ark. – “I’m trying to get some of the gang back together for next year.”

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield said that with a smile on Monday morning prior to the Burlsworth Trophy Award ceremony held in Springdale.

Mayfield made ripples across the college football landscape when he announced after Saturday’s Bedlam victory that he would return for his senior season.

Teammates like Joe Mixon, Samaje Perine and Orlando Brown will have opportunities like Mayfield did for early entry into the NFL Draft. All three would be important pieces for the Sooners offense in 2017.

“I would want all of my teammates to come back so we can have another year together,” Mayfield said. “But they have to have their best interests at heart. Everybody’s situation is different family-wise. You have to talk to them and you have to try to relate to them and give them the best advice – not stress them out more or pressure them.

“I think me letting everyone know that I’m coming back is going to help a little bit. I’m going to be honest with them. Yeah, I want you to come back but you have to do what’s best for you.”

Mayfield said he leaned on his family, close loved ones and coaches in coming to his final decision.

“You want to have their best advice and their best interests at heart," Mayfield said. "And teammates as well. I’m trying to get some of the gang back together for next year.

“Just the people that really affect you on a personal level. They are all the ones who influence your decision.”

Mayfield was asked how long he’d been considering his return to Norman.
Click Here!

“I’ve kind of been thinking about it here and there. I think it was just a long time coming,” Mayfield said “Plus thinking about the big picture. I worked so hard to get to Oklahoma and it’s been a dream come true.

“I’ve dreamed about playing for Coach (Bob) Stoops since I was a kid and why not do it again and really come back for a shot at a national title and push this program to where it needs to be. It’s all about making my dreams come true and I have another year to go live it out.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/oklahoma-football-baker-mayfield-hopes-teammates-follow-his-lead-return/article_72b5bd54-d274-5694-ad9e-f69d1ce6465f.html

Attachment: 1 colo santa.jpg (Downloaded 107 times)

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 07:21 pm

If I could only choose one between Brown or Mixon or Perine coming back, it would probably be Brown despite his frustrating ill-timed personal fouls that has been a staple of his two year career.

I'm just not sure Oklahoma has someone in line to take his spot and perform capably for the 2017 season. I would rather that be a challenge to take on in the 2018 season. Oklahoma doesn't need a green OT for that road trip to Ohio St. very early in the season.

palmettosooner

Country of Origin: A proud southerner
Signature: If the arabs put down thier weapons, there would be ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 07:54 pm

Can't help but think another year would be in the best interest of both Perine and Mixon. Neither is getting a huge amount of press nationally. Fournette is most likely going 1st of the backs. I think if Joe was smart, he would wait and go after next year.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 08:06 pm

Fournette "may" be a better runner than Mixon, which is debatable, but he's not a better running back. There's a difference between the two words.

SD-OU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 09:21 pm

Perine is likely leaving rather than risk getting injured again.

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Dec 5th, 2016 09:23 pm

I dunno if Perine might be better served to go.  Running backs have a short shelf life and he sure gets helped off the field a lot.  Because of his personal issues and the other backs coming out this year, Mixon might do well to put in another season of college to raise his draft status.

KyleOU

Country of Origin: 
Signature: Jesus is Lord
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Dec 6th, 2016 12:51 am

Mixon really needs to go, just to get away from the stigma attached to him due to the off field issues.

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Dec 6th, 2016 04:07 am

I would recommend to all of them to come back. Yes, there is the threat of injury. But Perine seems to just keep chugging. Mixon needs another year to further distance himself from the controversy. Not to mention, many NFL draft gurus are saying the same thing...not a great year for RBs and the NFL no longer puts the kind of emphasis on RBs that it used to.

Having Brown back another year would be huge and IMO he needs one more year to polish his skills.

palmettosooner

Country of Origin: A proud southerner
Signature: If the arabs put down thier weapons, there would be ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Dec 6th, 2016 03:45 pm

SoonerRick46 wrote:
I would recommend to all of them to come back. Yes, there is the threat of injury. But Perine seems to just keep chugging. Mixon needs another year to further distance himself from the controversy. Not to mention, many NFL draft gurus are saying the same thing...not a great year for RBs and the NFL no longer puts the kind of emphasis on RBs that it used to.

Having Brown back another year would be huge and IMO he needs one more year to polish his skills.

Fully agree. To me, Mixon is the most complete back in the nation when you look at size, ( bigger than the Stanford guy), hands, ( much better than Fournette), and even elusiveness and speed. I do think he needs to come back to get the exposure he needs to become a top 10 pick.

Current time is 01:41 pm