Print
AuthorPost
47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Nov 15th, 2016 10:37 pm

Carey Murdock

Sources tell me RS-junior DL Charles Walker won't return for #Sooners this season. Sources also say Walker intends to enter NFL draft.

Kegan Reneau

Had Charles Walker played against Clemson in the Orange Bowl, he would've likely been gone after last year.

Making a business decision now

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 12:12 am

wish him well,but don't like the way he handled this. (n)

Salt City Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 02:33 am

Neither did Mike:

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/story/1728584-charles-walker-not-returning-to-ou

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 03:07 am

Should this hurt him in the draft?

I would think so.  If a kid doesn't want to play then just do the right thing and quit and move on.  Leaving like he has isn't what I would do or what I would want my kid to do.  Everyone has their own sense of loyalty and right and wrong.

Glad he finally said it.

Salt City Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 03:37 am

Teddy Lehman on Twitter:

Not much of a market in the NFL for defensive linemen that don't play football. Just sayin'

https://twitter.com/TedLehman11

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 04:06 am

Salt City Sooner wrote:
Teddy Lehman on Twitter:

Not much of a market in the NFL for defensive linemen that don't play football. Just sayin'

Yep, that's about it. His draft stock will be terrible. Let's hope that the appeal for Armani Bledsoe goes well. I'm hoping for at least one good DT in the upcoming class.

SoonerinLA

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 04:25 am

Good for Mike. Glad he told it as he saw it.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 11:45 am

Well, bye. Thanks for freeing up a scholarship, Walker. And yes, that's how I really feel. ;)

jimmc
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 01:28 pm

Salt City Sooner wrote:
Teddy Lehman on Twitter:

Hilarious! :lol:

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 01:36 pm

Walt wrote:
Should this hurt him in the draft?

I would think so.

I agree - I doubt that he's anything higher than a 5th-6th round if that.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 05:13 pm

Does anyone else think Mike needs to keep his comments to himself?
Or at least keep them internal at OU?
He doesn't have a very good public perception already.
Going off on a player publicly can't help that image, eve if it is a former player and even if Mike disagrees with how it happened.

Serenity Now

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 16th, 2016 05:28 pm

Mike didn't say anything bad. I think this will hurt the kid's draft stock significantly along with the concussion history. It turns into an either or - he's either not a team player committed to his team or he's got a significant concussion history that you don't want on your roster.

I hate it for him. He could have come in and played 3-4 of the last games and proven that perception wrong.

It could have cost him some serious signing bonus $ if he drops a few rounds.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2016 12:46 am

This is kind of off topic, but didn't Carl Pendelton forgo his senior year due to family (children) issues? I can't remember the details.

Seems the last I heard he was a police officer?

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2016 12:48 am

K2C Sooner wrote: This is kind of off topic, but didn't Carl Pendelton forgo his senior year due to family (children) issues? I can't remember the details.

Yes he did. 

I don't think he just walked away from the team in the middle of the season.

K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2016 12:51 am

Walt wrote:
K2C Sooner wrote: This is kind of off topic, but didn't Carl Pendelton forgo his senior year due to family (children) issues? I can't remember the details.

Yes he did. 

Nor did he even try out for the NFL, if I'm correct.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2016 01:58 pm

Walt wrote:

Yes he did. 

It was his little brother.
And it was at the end of a season.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 17th, 2016 10:32 pm

Serenity Now wrote:
Mike didn't say anything bad. I think this will hurt the kid's draft stock significantly along with the concussion history. It turns into an either or - he's either not a team player committed to his team or he's got a significant concussion history that you don't want on your roster.

I hate it for him. He could have come in and played 3-4 of the last games and proven that perception wrong.

It could have cost him some serious signing bonus $ if he drops a few rounds.

This was the sentiment I had.

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2016/11/17/13666190/oklahoma-sooners-football-mike-stoops-calls-out-charles-walker

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 02:12 pm

humblesooner wrote: This was the sentiment I had.

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2016/11/17/13666190/oklahoma-sooners-football-mike-stoops-calls-out-charles-walker

Mike painted the picture that Walker was quitting on his teammates.  If that's a problem for a potential recruit that a player is criticized by a coach for doing that then that seems more like a problem with the recruit than a problem with the coach. 

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: DAYTONA 500 for those who have brain damage.
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 02:29 pm

Cemetery Guy wrote:
humblesooner wrote: This was the sentiment I had.

Mike painted the picture that Walker was quitting on his teammates.  If that's a problem for a potential recruit that a player is criticized by a coach for doing that then that seems more like a problem with the recruit than a problem with the coach. 

I agree ,I see no harm and no foul here on Mike's part. I think I am just a bit fed up with this world where we need to make sure no one gets their feeling hurt.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 02:51 pm

I think the Crimson and Cream is way off on this one.  I'm not a Mike Stoops fan, but he is right on this issue and right to say what he thinks.   Quite a few weeks past Bob at one of his weekly PC was asked about Walker and made the comment that Walker's concussion was a self-diagnosed concussion.  I believe he went further to suggest that the OU medical staff didn't have any input or hadn't found any signs of concussion.  I think it was likely known that Walker just didn't want to come back and play, but Walker wasn't man enough to say out-loud about his intentions.

I'm fine with Walker deciding he wanted to quit the team, but he should have just up and quit instead of leading the coaches and his fellow players on.  But, just dragging it out and not fessing up to his desires to not risk any injury is plain ole wrong.  Walker put his coaches and friends on the team in a hard spot, in my opinion.

I have no soft, fuzzy feelings about people who do this kind of thing.

humblesooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 03:33 pm

Walt wrote:
I think the Crimson and Cream is way off on this one.  I'm not a Mike Stoops fan, but he is right on this issue and right to say what he thinks.   Quite a few weeks past Bob at one of his weekly PC was asked about Walker and made the comment that Walker's concussion was a self-diagnosed concussion.  I believe he went further to suggest that the OU medical staff didn't have any input or hadn't found any signs of concussion.  I think it was likely known that Walker just didn't want to come back and play, but Walker wasn't man enough to say out-loud about his intentions.

I'm fine with Walker deciding he wanted to quit the team, but he should have just up and quit instead of leading the coaches and his fellow players on.  But, just dragging it out and not fessing up to his desires to not risk any injury is plain ole wrong.  Walker put his coaches and friends on the team in a hard spot, in my opinion.

I have no soft, fuzzy feelings about people who do this kind of thing.

I am in no way defending Walker. He doesn't want to play? good riddance. There are lots of others who welcome the playing time.
I just think Mike should have taken the high road with something like "He's not on the team anymore. Let's talk about those who are on the team."
I'm about as sick of political correctness, safe zones, etc. as anyone in the world.
I just think Mike has a couple of strikes against him already. He should have tempered his comments. Just my opinion.
I like intensity in coaches, but I'm not sure what we see out of Mike is just intensity.
His own brother sent him to the press box because of his antics on the sideline.

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 05:08 pm

ClintA.Adams wrote:
Well, bye. Thanks for freeing up a scholarship, Walker. And yes, that's how I really feel. ;)

Now, if we could just recruit some DTs, it would be great! I don't think we have a single DT committed for next year do we?

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 05:15 pm

A lot of football staffs have what I call the designated SOB.  He is the person who does and says the things that are right on the line of acceptable and unacceptable, but will make for a better team if they are said or done.  The head coach is all for what he says and does, but doesn't want it coming from him directly.  IMHO Mike is Bob's designated SOB.

I normally don't like it when players are called out in public.  It should be done in private.  That being said, I think the Charles Walker case is an exception.  When a player quits on his team when they are fighting for a conference championship and a playoff spot, that is unacceptable, I don't care how many illegitimate kids he has.

If a recruit doesn't like to hear that OU puts team first, I'm not sure that I want him on Owen Field.

palmettosooner

Country of Origin: A proud southerner
Signature: If the arabs put down thier weapons, there would be ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 06:23 pm

If I;m recruiting players and I make a statement that says you are a quitter if you do what Walker did, and a recruit decides he doesn't like that statement... I want him as far away from my team as possible. Part of our problem right now on this defense is that is appears way too many of the players look like they don't understand the "team" concept. Especially the "team" , gang tackling concept. They don't play like a cohesive group, but like a bunch of individuals on separate pages.
I don't agree with Mike on much, but i back him 100% on quitters. Walker is a poster-child.

ClintA.Adams
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 18th, 2016 06:41 pm

SoonerinDallas wrote:
ClintA.Adams wrote:

Now, if we could just recruit some DTs, it would be great! I don't think we have a single DT committed for next year do we?

No DTs, just 2 DEs and Oklahoma already has 21 commits and it's late in the game. There will probably be a couple that land commitment wise in January, but I still don't like the "look" of the current situation.

Gallimore and Lampkin are both red-shirt freshman with a lot of promise and Overton is just a sophomore who should bounce back next season after the injury early this season, so that is good, but injuries can happen at anytime. Definitely need more bodies there.

Current time is 12:10 pm