Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 28th, 2016 11:33 pm

Maybe a bit early but these girls sign letter of intents in November. So less than 5 months a way. I know there is a video or 2 out and I'll try to dig them up.

4—Eliyah Flores 3B/OF… Firecrackers – Rico (Oklahoma)
Eliyah is an aggressive hitter who also has developed the patience to sit back and take walks. Coaches have described her as a “professional hitter” who is invested in the educational part of the game. Eliyah breathes, eats and sleeps hitting and understands how to use the whole field. For the second straight year, the So Cal talent put on an impressive display— this season batting .495 with 13 home runs and 31 RBI. Eliyah had a four-game stretch at the end of April where she hit five home runs and showed how she can go on a tear at any given time. She also was a key cog in helping the Firecrackers to a 7-2 record at PGF 18U Nationals, as she led the team with seven RBI and had six walks for a .438 on-base percentage. Another strength of Eliyah’s is she is fearless at the plate and loves to be challenged. Defensively, she’s solid at third, but can also play second base if needed.

Thats up 2 spots, she was ranked #6 in initial rankings.

13—Alexa Schultz OF… Ohana Tigers (Oklahoma)
Alexa is an explosive hitter who comes up big in the clutch when needed. She’s a tough-nosed player who plays leftfield for the Tigers and helped the 16U team to a 5-2 record and top 5 finish as she was second on the team in hitting (.333) and led the So Cal-based squad with three home runs, six RBI, an on-base percentage of .524, a slugging percentage of 1.000 and an OPS of 1.524. Like Mary Iakopo (see #19 above), she also plays for Los Alamitos High and has had a strong spring capped off with a grand slam. Playing for Shawn Quarles when part of the So Cal A’s organization, Alexa won an ASA 14U National Championship and in one day at those Nationals had four home runs. One coach described her as “the model of a player who does everything well and is consistently excellent at the plate and in the outfield.”

She dropped from 8 to 13 from initial rankings.

Lynnsie Elam C from Chickasha. Not rated but I'm assuming she'll be the eventual backup to Wodach. Plays for Gametime Stars out of Oklahoma. Won a state title last year at Chickasha. I figure this is one of these underated Oklahoma players that Gasso finds.

Everything I see on Flores makes me think she is going to be a superstar. I think she'll be potential 20 homerun hitter for us. Keeping with the sister theme her younger sister is a 2019 commit for us. So they'll play together for a few seasons. Shultz is no slouch either. Hit 3 homeruns in 1 game. We think this team is gonna be crowded with talent this year. We lose only utility player Macy Hatfield and add these very talented girls in 2017. Our depth is going to be insane. You'll notice no pitcher this class as we should be good there until 2018.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 29th, 2016 12:22 am

Great!   I love discussions in which I have not a clue what I am talking about.  Except for excerpts like this, I know nothing about any of these kids.  Since Patty has been in on Elam for a couple of years, I assume that she is at least a good defensive catcher.  Patty finds those.

We had another Flores who was pretty good.

When the 2017 class arrives, we will still have a lot of talent here.  Our entire starting team, except for Miller and Self, will still be here.  Flores and Schultz will probably be in competition with Taukeiaho, Mendes, and Dalton.  Interesting fight.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 29th, 2016 12:31 am

Video of Alexa Schultz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WYIY32yePI

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 29th, 2016 12:37 am

Eliyah Flores

http://www.pe.com/articles/flores-767035-eliyah-terrace.html

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 29th, 2016 07:43 pm

We did get a bit off topic but I've always wondered about the scholarship limit for softball so its a nice discussion. That was a good catch that Elam plays for Corona now. Will be good for her playing against that talent in California. Here is an older article on her.

http://newsok.com/article/5357975

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 28th, 2016 01:57 am

For 2017 OU only has 3 players verballed so far. I believe they only have 1 player scheduled to graduats in Macy Hatfield so its a small class. They still have the ranked 8th class because 2 of the players are in the top 10.

8 Alexa Schultz
#8 - Alexa Schultz OF So Cal Athletics - Richardson Oklahoma
Alexa is another one of the players from the talent-laden So Cal Athletics - Quarles team that won ASA 14U Nationals and, in one prolific day at the San Diego tournament, had four home runs. At PGF Nationals she helped the A's finish second and led the team in walks (8), tied for most runs scored (8) and compiled a .438 on-base percentage. Alexa does everything well, she'll be a power hitter in college and is a great outfielder who is the perfect model of a softball player who does everything well. The words used most about her are "steady" and "consistent." She's really elevated her game this fall and has emerged as one of the top new faces on the 18U level.

6 Eliyah Flores
#6 - Eliyah Flores 3B/OF Firecrackers - Rico Oklahoma
Eliyah is a phenomenal hitter who is even feared by rival coaches because of the damage she can do at the plate. Her aggressiveness is her strength-she can take balls out of the zone and drive then 220 feet even when she's not supposed to be able to handle them. Eliyah hit .515 with 11 home runs at the high school level and is fearless offensively; the harder the pitcher throws, the better she likes it. She has a tremendous work ethic and drive that makes her a coach's favorite. Eliyah was the Sunkist League MVP and hit a walk-off home run the last week of the season to help her team win the league title.

The 3rd player Lynnsie Elam, is a catcher from Chickasha that plays for Gametime Stars. She wasn't in the hot 100 but I hear good things about her.

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 28th, 2016 02:03 am

2017 also has Jocelyn Alo, she recently committed as reported by CClift

Also Lynnsie Elam most recently played (last summer) for the Corona Angels, Marty Tyson's well known organization out of Corona California that has recently produced Lea Wodach and Shay Knighten.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 28th, 2016 02:23 am

9--Jocelyn Alo C… OC Batbusters -- Stith (Cal)
Jocelyn is an amazing story: she lives in Hawaii and commutes to the Mainland to play on the two-time defending PGF 18U National Champion Batbusters. Last year, she was a state champion wrestler, but this season didn't wrestle to concentrate on softball. Jocelyn is a ferocious hitter--one coach described her at the plate as "violent"--and she has a great work ethic and focus. Personable with a winning demeanor, Jocelyn doesn't let pressure affect her; in fact, it's the opposite as she makes the game simple. In high school ball this year, the Hawaiian hit .597 with a slugging percentage of 1.036 and that was after a 2015 season when she hit video game numbers with a .756 batting average and a 2.073 slugging percentage aided by 14 home runs. But it's not just high school ball where she tears the cover off the ball: she normally bats in the 3-hole and against elite pitching last year at PGF Nationals led the champs with a .579 average, two home runs and was second with eight RBI.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 28th, 2016 04:22 am

Yes we only lose Macy Hatfield next year so its a small class but good quaility. The latest rankings of flosoftball had OU's class ranked 11th. With 2 players in hot 100. Lynssie Elam was not in top 100.

Eliyah Flores moved up to #4
Alexa Shultz moved down to #13

If Jocelyn Alo is added as a commit she is the #9 player. That would jump OU alway to the #3 class. That is without knowing what changes some of the other classes have made. It would be pretty safe to say OU would have a top 5 class.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2016 04:25 am

Per FloSoftball. So its official now.

*** Big recruiting update: slugger Jocelyn Alo, ranked in the top 10 of the 2017 Hot 100, has switched her verbal from Cal to Oklahoma.

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Oct 26th, 2016 11:45 pm

I look for Lynnsie Elam to make a rise in the Hot 100 after playing with the Corona Angels last summer. She was previously omitted from the Hot 100, which goes to show that we have great athletes here in Oklahoma that sometimes go unnoticed.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 27th, 2016 08:29 am

Looks like November 9th is signing day for this class. So 13 days until they officially sign on the dotted line. As of right now its a class of 4:

Eliyah Flores 3B/2B/OF
Jocelyn Alo C/!B
Alexa Shultz OF
Lynnsie Elam C/1B

If you think our team is deep now wait until these girls get on campus.

Last edited on Thu Oct 27th, 2016 08:29 am by cclift38

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 27th, 2016 04:35 pm

Really excited about this program! We really need to take advantage of where we are right now. I know our stadium and facilities are nicer than 90% of other facilities but we need to build the best now. Don't have to have the largest stadium but build the nicest! I hope Patty/Joe/Boren can somehow find funds to make this happen soon!

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 2nd, 2016 10:16 pm

Looks like a couple of our girls dropped a little in the rankings.

28--Eliyah Flores 3B/OF… Firecrackers -- Rico (Oklahoma)null
Eliyah also made the initial Jr. Women's National Team invite list. She's an intense, passionate player who plays in a powerful manner such that she can take over a game. Flashy on defense, Eliyah is sure to become one of the best in the game as her ceiling is unlimited. A key figure on the Firecrackers-Rico PGF 18U National Champs team, she is already an advanced hitter--one coach called her a "professional hitter"--in that she understands the mechanics, techniques, and ways to use the whole field to get on base. Eliyah had a stretch this spring where she hit safely in 19 of 20 games and finished with a .451 average and eight home runs for her Grand Terrace High (California) team.
She was ranked 4th.

21--Alexa Schultz OF… Ohana Tigers (Oklahoma)null
Alexa is a compact right-handed hitter who is tough and is able to elevate her game when a key play is needed. She has an explosive swing and hits tape-measure shots to all fields. She has been a standout on Rob Weil's Los Alamitos High (California) team which finished 26-3 and was ranked #16 in the final FAB 50 High School Rankings. Alexa is a left-fielder with a good arm and athleticism. She has played in the So Cal A's organization, winning an ASA 14U National Championship--she hit four home runs in one day--and getting a 2nd place finish at PGF Nationals before following Coach Shawn Quarles to the Ohana Tigers. Coaches say that the So Cal senior does everything consistently at a high level of success and will be the type of player the Sooners can plug in wherever and whenever she is needed. Alexa committed to the Sooners in December of 2013.

Down from 11.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Nov 5th, 2016 12:04 am

9--Jocelyn Alo C/IF… OC Batbusters -- Stith (Oklahoma) null
Jocelyn is one of the most dangerous hitters in the country and, when she squares up on the ball, it goes forever. She's a dominating hitter who can go deep at any time, including at the PGF Shootout, where she hit a three-run homerun with future Sooner coach Melyssa Lombardi watching her. A MaxPreps Jr. All-American and the Hawaii Gatorade State Player of the Year, Jocelyn led her Campbell High team to a 17-1 record and the Div. I state title. She batted .612 with eight homeruns, 30 RBIs and a stellar 1.726 OPS. She went 2-for-3 in the championship and had a homer and four RBIs. She commutes from the Islands to California to play and practice with Mike Stith's team. She isn't just great in softball--she won the Hawaii state wrestling championship a year ago but is now focusing on softball. Jocelyn originally committed to Cal, but is now heading to Oklahoma after switching this summer.

Remains in the same spot at #9

OURed

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Nov 5th, 2016 11:18 pm

Our incoming 2017 catcher from Hawaii was ranked 9th the final FloSoftball 2017 class.

9--Jocelyn Alo C/IF… OC Batbusters -- Stith (Oklahoma) null
Jocelyn is one of the most dangerous hitters in the country and, when she squares up on the ball, it goes forever. She's a dominating hitter who can go deep at any time, including at the PGF Shootout, where she hit a three-run homerun with future Sooner coach Melyssa Lombardi watching her. A MaxPreps Jr. All-American and the Hawaii Gatorade State Player of the Year, Jocelyn led her Campbell High team to a 17-1 record and the Div. I state title. She batted .612 with eight homeruns, 30 RBIs and a stellar 1.726 OPS. She went 2-for-3 in the championship and had a homer and four RBIs. She commutes from the Islands to California to play and practice with Mike Stith's team. She isn't just great in softball--she won the Hawaii state wrestling championship a year ago but is now focusing on softball. Jocelyn originally committed to Cal, but is now heading to Oklahoma after switching this summer.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Nov 6th, 2016 01:54 pm

I was surprised Flores dropped. She batted cleanup for the firecrackers team that won the PGF championship. I watched her hit the ball well on the games I watched. I haven't seen enough of Shultz to give an opinion. They are still highly ranked and thought of. Alissa Dalton was ranked in the 40s and she's looking like a freshman starter. I do think flo does the best job of rankings, I think once you get to the top players there is a fine line on who's better than who. That being said it sounds like it's going to be fun watching the Alo girl hit. The late pickup of her is still going to make our class higher ranked than before. Should be close to a top 5 ranking.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 7th, 2016 12:21 am

Lynnsie Elam ranked #101. Just missed the top 100.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 10:40 pm

If I'm not mistaken tomorrow is LOI day for this class.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 06:37 pm

Alexa Schultz was the first to sign.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 06:39 pm

Eliyah Flores was second.

Now, Lynnsie Elam has signed.

AustinTXSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 10:16 pm

Jocelyn Alo has signed.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 11:09 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw1OBQVUoAIqg0q.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw1egyWVQAUHQia.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw1l1tYVIAA3l2m.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw2gjnZW8AAJGLC.jpg

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 02:25 am

Link to OU SIGNS FOUR TO NATIONAL LETTERS OF INTENT

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 02:32 am

Thanks for posting! All 4 of these girls were recruited by big names of college softball: Cal, Oregon, Tennessee, Florida, Washington and Cal State Fullerton. Says a lot about the quality of the class.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 02:34 am

More impressed with Lynnsie Elam after reading her information. Picked OU over Florida and Tennessee, so was wanted by some high profile schools. Also sounds like Gasso is open to playing Alo at 1B or outfield. Seems like we have some power coming with this class.

Seems we are a thorn in Tennessee's side. 3 of these girls we beat them out.

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 02:37 am

cclift38 wrote:
More impressed with Lynnsie Elam after reading her information. Picked OU over Florida and Tennessee, so was wanted by some high profile schools. Also sounds like Gasso is open to playing Alo at 1B or outfield. Seems like we have some power coming with this class.

Agreed! Also, Patty has picked up a good catcher or two in her career! Sounds like Lynnsie was playing summers in California too. I would guess she will far exceed her rankings (or lack thereof).

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 02:40 am

cclift38 wrote:

Seems we are a thorn in Tennessee's side. 3 of these girls we beat them out.

Yeah! I think the Weekly's cringe every time they hear Patty Gasso or OU! Even though they are very respectful of her and the program. :lol:

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 04:33 am

She mentioned Lauren Chamberlain when talking of Alo's bat. That's a high comparison. Would love to have that kind of power hitter again. Another good thing about Alo, if Baylor girls poke their chest out and line up against us again to block their pitcher we can just have Alo beat them down. She seems like someone you want to take to the brawl with you.

We only lose Hatfield to graduation. There is usually a transfer or 2. Some that can get more playing time somewhere else but this team is going to be extremely deep next year. It maybe the deepest team from top to bottom we've ever had.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 10th, 2016 05:04 am

If she was in wrestling trim shape at 185, sufficient to win the state title, she is obviously a strong girl.  It probably also implies strength in the wrists.  I can see her being strong enough to be a power hitter.  Now, can she match Lauren for consistency?  95 is a lot of home runs.  Thirty in a season is a high percentage of your hits going out.

Current time is 01:43 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page