Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Sep 13th, 2018 11:09 pm

In the latest rankings Zaida Puni has fallen to #16 due to injuries she had to deal with most of the Summer.

The will release the Top 10 tomorrow and I'm curious to see if Noury and Knight made a huge climb in the rankings because neither of them showed up in the first 80.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 02:49 am

I would be surprised if Paige Knight moved completely out of top 100. She's been consistantly ranked in the 20's. But i haven't kept up to see if any injuries or anything going on. Appreciate you keeping up with it. I know I normally do but have been busy lately.

OURed

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 02:48 am

Killatella wrote:
In the latest rankings Zaida Puni has fallen to #16 due to injuries she had to deal with most of the Summer.

They will release the Top 10 tomorrow and I'm curious to see if Noury and Knight made a huge climb in the rankings because neither of them showed up in the first 80.

So who was in the top 10?

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 02:49 am

5-Nicole May, P/3B, OC Batbusters - Stith (Oklahoma)
Nicole has been a Top 10 player in her class for the last several years, but she’s taking her game to another level recently as she’s maturing as a player. Her physical tools allow her to be a shut-down pitcher but also be an outstanding infielder/hitter. The NorCal junior was a 1st Team Extra Inning Softball All-American at Foothill (Pleasanton, California) High as she led her team to the Section finals with a 20-2 record and a 0.65 ERA with 209 K’s in 128 innings. Nicole also batted .404. For the Batbusters, she established herself as a starter and was the go-to most of the summer including pitching the championship game in Boulder at the IDT tournament. In her pitching, fielding and hitting, Nicole does a lot of things well: in the circle she has command of her pitches with good ball movement and the ability to change speeds; at the plate she can hit for average and power and in the field she is impressive with her glove and intelligent in her play. Her versatile physical and position skills should allow her to play early at OU wherever there’s a need on Coach Patty Gasso’s team.

Last edited on Sat Sep 15th, 2018 02:49 am by Killatella

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 02:53 am

2—Tiare Jennings, SS, OC Batbusters - Stith (Oklahoma)
Tiare has elevated her game to another level and that was a pretty good foundation set long ago when she won the PGF 12U Nationals in 2015 and followed it with titles at Boulder IDT and USA Elite Select Championship at 14U. Mike Stith’s Batbuster team is always loaded with talent and breakout stars and Tiare looks like she will be the next great infielder after she had a magnificent summer and played shortstop with certainty and confidence. Said one scout, “Tiare made all the plays and was good with it mattered including clutch hitting under pressure.” The infielder has a great motor and showed she has power too and can take over a tournament like she did in Boulder this summer when she slugged seven home runs. Her biggest blast, however, may have been a two-out, 0-2 count against the Corona Angels when a loss would’ve sent the Batbusters home but instead propelled them to the PGF 18U Premier Championship game. What separates Tiare also is her list of intangibles, including a motor to be always improving and instincts you can’t coach. A standout in volleyball and basketball and with her 5-foot-8 athletic frame, the ceiling is very high for her to become one of the top players in the college ranks in a few years down the road. As she dominated at the club level, she also did for her St. Anthony (Long Beach, California) High team this year as she hit .590 with nine home runs, 19 RBI, a .614 OBP and a 1.638 OPS while going 14-for-14 in steals and recording a .971 fielding percentage.

1—Jayda Coleman, MIF/OF, Texas Glory - Shelton (Oklahoma)
In a class strong with infielders, there’s been one for the last four years who has continued to amaze and impress, even under the white-hot light of pressure and expectation: Jayda Coleman. Growing up around a family of softball coaches and players, the Texas junior first drew national attention at the PGF 2014 12U Nationals playing for the DirectTV Genies coached by her father, Cedric. Although the team lost 4-3 to Dave Mercado’s A’s team, it was the launching point of Jayda being recognized as the top player in her class as she hit .625 with a .700 on-base percentage and made one amazing defensive play after another. That was then… this is now. What makes Jayda an elite prospect is that she has the great God-given physical tools in addition to playing with passion. She boasts fantastic speed and explosiveness with the ability to hit for power or lay down the bunt. It’s not uncommon for her to get on base via the drag bunt, then steal second and third and finally come home on a sacrifice, fielder’s choice or passed ball. She’s heady, instinctive and seemingly always thinking ahead three steps of what would be the best outcome, but it’s her love for the game and her softball smarts that set her apart as one who makes almost every aspect of the game look easy and effortless. Said one Big 12 coach (and, no, it wasn’t one of the Sooner coaches!): “It looks like she does everything so well, she’s bored and is just waiting to get to the next level to see what she can do.” Jayda was first on the 2018 18U Texas Glory team, which won the 2018 World Fastpitch Championship and came in 7th at PGF and 5th at Colorado Fireworks Super 54, in hits, doubles, triples and runs scored. At the prep level, she earned every possible award playing for The Colony (Texas) High as she was a 1st Team Extra Inning and USA Today All-American after hitting .714 on 75 hits with 66 runs and 43 steals. This, mind you, came against excellent competition in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so for her to put up such amazing numbers is doubly impressive, especially as she earned other honors such as the Dallas/Ft. Worth All Metro-Plex Team Player of the Year, the District 14-5A MVP and the Dallas Morning News SportsDay All-Area Offensive Player of the Year. She certainly didn’t hit a “sophomore slump” and now the question is, how much further can this amazing player go? It’s one thing to get to the top of the mountain--it’s another to stay there and defend your turf. Jayda, though, looks like she’s got every tool needed, including great teammates, coaches and family support, to keep working hard and improving her game, as much as that’s even possible. It will sure be fun as softball fans to see how far this outstanding talent can go…

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 03:25 am

Sweet. I know some moved down but 3 of the top and the top 2. I knew Jennings might move up to 2. She's been clutch in the big tournaments. The future is bright.

Last edited on Sat Sep 15th, 2018 03:26 am by cclift38

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Sep 16th, 2018 03:15 am

I'm definitely going to need a
Good reason of why Noury and Knight got dropped completely. Something doesn't smell right about that.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 01:10 am

I agree, Noury, plays for Batbusters and they don't just take anyone. Paige Knight is still listed on Tulsa Elite roster. She's been consistently in the 20's. So not sure how she dropped off the radar.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2018 10:23 pm

Here is my own breakdown of the OU commits.
#16 Zaida Puni
Defensive rating 6.5 out of 10
Offensive rating 8.3 out of 10
Hall of Fame comparison: Eddie Matthews
Puni is not a player that will blow you away with a high batting average, and her fielding is better than average, it's her power that strikes fear in her opponents and it comes very natural for her. If there are 2 outs and nobody on pitchers will come after her, but if there are runners on with 1st base open you can bet your ass she will be walked. Her on base percentage is always going to be high.

#5 Nicole May
Defensive rating 9.2 out of 10
Offensive rating 7.0 out of 10
Hall of Fame comparison: Greg Maddux
May is one of those pitchers who is not going to over power you with heat but it is enough heat to blow it by you if she has you guessing. Her greatest strength as a pitcher is her intelligence on the mound, great location, and her wide variety of out pitches. This is one of those player's who is so smart that the coaching staff may allow her and Kinzie Hansen to call their own game.

#2 Tiare Jennings
Defensive rating 9.0
Offensive rating 8.5
Hall of Fame comparison: Cal Ripken Jr.
Tiare makes things look easy in the field and is one of those player's who will always be clutch at the plate. With every year she gets better and better which is a credit to her and her work ethic. She could easily hit .350 or better and give you 15+ HR's every year at the next level. She will be the future at Short after Grace Lyons and will be more of a Utility player until then. She's a player that will be in the line up from day one!

#1 Jayda Coleman
Defensive rating 8 if she plays infield 10 if she makes the switch to outfield
Offensive rating 9.5
Hall of Fame comparison Ken Griffey Jr/Ricky Henderson
Jayda's level of game is so beyond her peers and she could at the very least be an All Big 12 player right now at 15! She can hit for power if she wants but her main focus right now is getting on base and being a holy terror on the base paths. She sees the ball very very well at the plate so her batting average and on base percentage at the next level will be among the nations best. I know she wants to play Shortstop at the next level, and even as a lefty she could definitely play the position at a Big XII level, but I believe Grace Lyons will have that position on lock down by the time Jayda first steps on the campus. There is no way Jayda will not be in the line up her Freshman year so I think Coach Gasso will put her in Centerfield. Her in game in intelligence is well beyond her years and in my opinion she is the perfect lead off hitter. She will be an All-American her freshman year.

The other two commits came in and here is where they landed.
Middle Infielder Destinee Noury dropped #41 to #101. Again, I didn't see her play this past Summer so I can't give an accurate evaluation of why she may have dropped. I've seen her play several times between 2015-2017 and she is an athletic, slick fielding softball player. She won't blow you away with her hitting but I think she will be a critical utility type of player for Coach Gasso who can be plugged into most infield positions and even the outfield.

Pitcher Paige Knight took a huge drop from #29 to #115. I had seen her a few times this past Summer and the only thing I can think of for her drop is that they may think she hasn't progressed or has peaked. That may or may not be true but she is an intricate piece of the OC Batbusters pitching rotation.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Sep 14th, 2019 04:20 am

FYI Destinee Noury is now listed as an Ohio State commit. I had heard she had parted ways with OU.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 17th, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm not surprised. There's no doubt she is talented but watching her the past couple PGF seasons she looks to have not progressed. It could be many different reasons but I'm pretty sure this was a mutual decision.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Sep 17th, 2019 01:00 pm

Yeah I think it would have been hard for her to get on field. Pretty stacked at middle infield. With Snow, Lyons, Donihoo, and LaValley already on roster. 20's Coleman and Jennings, 2021 Waitman, and 2022 Hodge coming in. A really talented player could get buried in that depth.

Current time is 09:20 pm
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4