Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 

Sous Vide cooking
 Moderated by: sybil, OU_Tom, EMan, CalSOONER, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: DAYTONA 500 BABY! NASCAR RULES!! for those who have brain ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Aug 4th, 2016 12:30 pm

Recently learned a bit about Sous vide cooking and took the plunge. Already had the vacuum bag sealer so I picked up a water oven off Amazon for about 150 dollars. If you haven't tried it you need to. Everything is better from vegetables to steaks. Wish I'd heard of it long ago. Anyone else gave it a whirl?

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Aug 17th, 2016 01:56 pm

tennsooner wrote: Recently learned a bit about Sous vide cooking and took the plunge. Already had the vacuum bag sealer so I picked up a water oven off Amazon for about 150 dollars. If you haven't tried it you need to. Everything is better from vegetables to steaks. Wish I'd heard of it long ago. Anyone else gave it a whirl?
What an non-informing post. :X  I strongly suspect that you are so lazy that you made this post so the rest of us would do the research and then tell you how it is done! :-$

What a loser.:shock:

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Aug 18th, 2016 09:44 pm

Walt wrote:
tennsooner wrote: Recently learned a bit about Sous vide cooking and took the plunge. Already had the vacuum bag sealer so I picked up a water oven off Amazon for about 150 dollars. If you haven't tried it you need to. Everything is better from vegetables to steaks. Wish I'd heard of it long ago. Anyone else gave it a whirl?
What an non-informing post. :X  I strongly suspect that you are so lazy that you made this post so the rest of us would do the research and then tell you how it is done! :-$

Google is your friend Walt. I'm about 3 weeks or so into it and like most things I know all about it so no need for any info for me. You should really try it. Some of the best eating there is.:cool:

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Aug 25th, 2016 01:11 am

tennsooner wrote: Walt wrote:

Google is your friend Walt. I'm about 3 weeks or so into it and like most things I know all about it so no need for any info for me. You should really try it. Some of the best eating there is.:cool:

I  think I am just to old to learn any new tricks.  It kind of sounds like cooking the old pressure cooker methods.  :cool:  Sounds pretty good.

Hey, we just drove through Tennessee yesterday.  Drove from Westminister Maryland to Little Rock in one setting.  Got on I-81 right out of West Virginia and caught I-40 South of Bristol.  We got back home about three today ... would have been quicker but had to take a side trip up to Bartlesville to pick up the new Schnauzer pup.

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Aug 25th, 2016 10:52 am

Walt wrote:

I  think I am just to old to learn any new tricks.  It kind of sounds like cooking the old pressure cooker methods.  :cool:  Sounds pretty good.

Hey, we just drove through Tennessee yesterday.  Drove from Westminister Maryland to Little Rock in one setting.  Got on I-81 right out of West Virginia and caught I-40 South of Bristol.  We got back home about three today ... would have been quicker but had to take a side trip up to Bartlesville to pick up the new Schnauzer pup.
That is quite a haul for one day of driving. My wife and I used to drive from here to Duncan without stopping but have decided barring an emergency we wont be doing that any more.
Walt I really think you would enjoy doing this. Take whatever you are cooking and season it ,add some olive oil or butter and vacuum seal it. Set the temperature on the water oven and walk away. No way to over cook anything since you are cooking by temperature and not time. They say one of the greatest benefits is it doesn't destroy the vitamins in vegetables like cooking on the stove might by using excess heat. I can truthfully say I haven't cooked anything this way that I prefer cooking it any other way. it s fun to do and it doesn't take much investment to get going.
It is actually the only method I know of where you can cook everyone's steak exactly like they like it with no chance of messing it up.
I bet you two are over the moon happy with the new puppy.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Aug 27th, 2016 03:28 pm

That is quite a haul for one day of driving. My wife and I used to drive from here to Duncan without stopping but have decided barring an emergency we wont be doing that any more.
Walt I really think you would enjoy doing this. Take whatever you are cooking and season it ,add some olive oil or butter and vacuum seal it. Set the temperature on the water oven and walk away. No way to over cook anything since you are cooking by temperature and not time. They say one of the greatest benefits is it doesn't destroy the vitamins in vegetables like cooking on the stove might by using excess heat. I can truthfully say I haven't cooked anything this way that I prefer cooking it any other way. it s fun to do and it doesn't take much investment to get going.
It is actually the only method I know of where you can cook everyone's steak exactly like they like it with no chance of messing it up.
I bet you two are over the moon happy with the new puppy.

We drove from OKC to Westminister, Maryland without stopping except for food stops.  We were both dead for two days.  We decided we wouldn't do it on the way home.  Hence out over-night stay in Little Rock.  The reason we choose Little Rock was that we had to make a side trip to Bartlesville to pick up the new puppy.

I used to do these trips by driving straight through.  The longest was from OKC to Vancouver, BC ... 26 hours.  I am just now getting over this last one, don't think I will do it again.

Do me a favor and cook a beef tenderloin and let me know how that comes out.  I do the tenderloin on my smoker and am pretty good at getting it done to the 130 degree inside temperature.  They come out exceptional.

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Aug 29th, 2016 03:28 pm

It looks pretty cool. The only thing that I don't like is that I prefer a texture on the outside of meats. There's no way to get a good bark with that method. I bet it works perfectly with a lot of different foods.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Sep 2nd, 2016 11:04 pm

ArmySooner wrote: It looks pretty cool. The only thing that I don't like is that I prefer a texture on the outside of meats. There's no way to get a good bark with that method. I bet it works perfectly with a lot of different foods.
I'm like you.  I don't really care for perfection in cooking meats.  I like a little singed around the edges with the center a hot pink to a not so hot light red.  Throw in some hickory flavor and you have a great piece of meat.

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 23rd, 2016 12:18 pm

ArmySooner wrote:
It looks pretty cool. The only thing that I don't like is that I prefer a texture on the outside of meats. There's no way to get a good bark with that method. I bet it works perfectly with a lot of different foods.

Ohh not so. I do steaks about 10 degrees less than I want and finish them off on the Egg over a lava of coals for about 1 minute a side. I couldn't imagine eating one straight out of the bag.

Current time is 04:47 pm