Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams  

Print
AuthorPost
cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jul 8th, 2016 10:32 pm

Found this on Grace Lyons. #3 2018 hot 100 shortstop committed to OU. I hear she's so good defensively that she can take over games.

http://www.flosoftball.com/article/33776-up-close-with-hot-100-shortstop-grace-lyons-3-30

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 04:36 am

This video is a little bit older but Grace Green #9 in hot 100. I'm liking our 2018 class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFSi_ABp64

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 08:05 am

Brooke Vestal is the #1 recruit in the 2018 class.

Audrey LaValley SS Carl Albert HS is also committed in the 2018 class.

Sammi Skelly Plainview HS is also committed in the 2018 class.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:25 am

Brooke Vestal has a 2 part series on Flo softball but you have to be a subscriber to watch it. Here is a teaser of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfAkTSddPc

Salt City Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 12:53 am

cclift38 wrote:
I've wandered about that also. You don't see left handed shortstops anymore. With the Lyons girl coming she may be tough to beat out. She's very athletic, maybe they move her to outfield. Or maybe move her to 3B, I would think you could still play 3B left handed.
That's what I played in my younger days & I'm a southpaw. By FAR the toughest play for me was some variety of a nubber/bunt. Now I wasn't the most agile guy around so I'm sure there are plenty who can handle it better than I did, but it was hard as heck to get flipped around while charging in on the ball.

Other than that, all I did was play what I called "not quite doubles" defense (meaning a couple steps closer to the line than a righty would play, but not full blown doubles D either) & I was fine.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 03:41 am

I'm not sure a left-hander could play third against slappers.  There is no time to rotate before throwing.  I can see a left-hander at short or second.  If someone hits it deep into the 5=6 hole, you probably can't get them anyhow, lefty or righty.  It might prove an advantage going up the middle.  You can get to it and throw without having to rotate.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 04:09 am

If she keeps playing short like she does in this video I'm good with it. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_5DGzQbqo

OURed

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 11th, 2016 02:50 am

upontop wrote:
Brooke Vestal is the #1 recruit in the 2018 class.

Audrey LaValley SS Carl Albert HS is also committed in the 2018 class.

Sammi Skelly Plainview HS is also committed in the 2018 class.

Who is Sammi Skelly. First time I have heard her name

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 11th, 2016 03:43 am

http://arbucklescores.com/news/363/plainview-lady-indians-runner-up-in-regional-softball-tournament/

Apparently, Skelly is a power hitter from Plainview.  I have seen the name once before because I remember the article that showed her hitting four home runs in the playoffs as well as seeing  that she had finished fourth in the state shot put.

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 11th, 2016 08:16 pm

http://usssalive.com/usaeliteselect

Blue Valley Field 19

Ohana Tigers vs Batbusters Stith

Future Sooners on both teams

Refried

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 25th, 2016 05:10 pm

Another article about Sami Skelly.

http://www.ardmoreite.com/sports/20160720/plainview-to-lean-on-experienced-infield-potent-offense

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Aug 3rd, 2016 09:08 pm

The 16u and 14u PGF nationals have started. I just watched the last 4 innings of Texas Glory-Naudin and Jersey Intensity. Intensity won 2-0. Texas Glory has multiple OU commits. Olivia Raines(OU 2019) pitched and batted 6th. Audrey LaValley(OU 2018) batted 3rd and played SS. Jayda Coleman(OU 2020) was leadoff and played 1st. Raylee Pogue(OU 2019) is on Texas Glory roster but I did not see her play. She's also on Gametime Roster but the Glory roster was more up to date. The game was 2-0 when I first started watching and they couldn't seem to hit the Intensity pitcher. Raines also pitched well. They had mentioned a couple of errors so I'm not sure if the runs were earned or not. Caugh part of 14u OC Batbusters Campbell play. They runruled the team they were playing 14-3. Alanna Thiede(OU 2019) was pitching, not sure is she started the game. It was 4th inning.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Nov 28th, 2016 08:54 pm

In about 2 weeks 2018's will be ranked again. This will be an important class for us as they come in after Paige Parker, Paige Lowary, Nicole Pendley, Lea Wodach, Kelsey Arnold, and Hannah Sparks graduate.

Class rank #1

1. Brooke Vestal P
3. Grace Lyons SS
9. Grace Geen 3B/P(played some 1B last season)
42 Audrie LaValley MIF
NR Sami Skelly

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Dec 14th, 2016 09:15 pm

Found an August article on Sami Skelly. Sounds like there girl has a major power bat. This was in a big tournament also.

http://www.theeagle.com/brazos_sports/softball/southern-force-loses-to-oklahoma-team-at-asa-national-tournament/article_ce572f19-eee9-537b-b8cb-fbb77442d1cd.html

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 16th, 2016 11:34 pm

The first Sooner. Down 10 spots from original ranking.

52--Audrie LaValley MIF… Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)null
Audrie grew up on the field and learned a lot of the game from her older brother Gavin, who was a 4th round draft pick by the Cincinnati Reds in 2014. She has a natural swing and is becoming a more complete ball player each year. Audrie has excellent power from the left side of the plate and, in the field, is smooth and moves well laterally. She led her Oklahoma high school team to the Class 5A state tournament and has been named to the Oklahoman Big All-City three straight years after hitting .575 this fall with 10 home runs, 50 RBIs, 69 runs scored, 16 doubles and eight triples.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 10:32 pm

Here are your Sooners.

9--Grace Green 3B/P… Batbusters -- Gomes (Oklahoma)
Grace is a great all-around athlete who does everything at a high level, from hitting to pitching to defense. She made a national splash at the prestigious OnDeck West Coast Camp in 2013 when she dominated the testing drills including the 10 and 20-yard dashes revealing her excellent quickness and foot speed. The NorCal standout also impressed with her overhand throw and bat speeds and soon had many Top 25 programs after her including most of the Pac-12. As a pitcher Grace throws in the low-to-mid 60's and has a dropball, screw and rise she can throw for strikes. Offensively, she combines power and speed to hit for a high average and a high on-base percentage. Her stick is one of the best in the nation and this year for her Oakdale, California high school she batted .488 with 30 RBI, eight triples and five home runs with a .531 on-base percentage, a .963 on-base percentage and a 1.494 OPS. Her athletic DNA comes in an unique way for a softball player: her parents have rodeo backgrounds and her father, Daniel, qualified for the National Finals Rodeo 10 times and won the Timed Event championship three times, the last one in 2013.

4--Grace Lyons IF… Firecrackers -- Rico (Oklahoma)
Watch Grace on video and you are amazed at her defensive skills up the middle as one of the top infielders in the country. Her glove-to-hand transition is so fast you can't see the ball once she vaccums it up but she is strong enough to be a potential corner at Oklahoma. She has as good of hands a you're going to see, but she's more of a power player. Grace comes from a baseball background and because her father was in the military and has flown F-16's for the Air Force for over 20 years, she has moved around the country and received a lot of top baseball training enhancing her skills and mechanics including lessons with former MLB All-Star shortstop Damion Easley. After emerging as a national prospect with Jeff Hinkle's Firecrackers AZ team, she's moved to the Firecrackers coached by Tony Rico which won PGF 18U Nationals this summer. Grace won't miss a beat playing with a title winning team; she has a high level presence and she's the type that you notice right away when you first walk up to the field. The Phoenix, Ariona junior--who earned 1st Team All-Div. I honors this year--is tough to miss as she's going to do something special every game. What separates Grace from everyone else is her physical gifts and professional training which makes her one of the top pre-college prospects right now. Not surprisingly, her athleticism rolls over to over sports and she's been a standout basketball player as well.

1--Brooke Vestal P/UT… Firecrackers -- Rico (Oklahoma)
And then there is No. 1… Since the first 2018 Hot 100 list was launched in the spring of 2015, Brooke has lived up to the honor--and pressure--of being ranked #1 on that list. It's hard to argue with the success she's had in that time, which included earning 1st Team FloSoftball All-American honors this spring as a multi-purpose player and then a few months later led the Tony Rico-coached Firecrackers to the PGF 18U National Championship. Brooke has become an even more accomplished player than a year and a half ago as she continues to develop emotionally and mentally. Said one coach, "Brooke's mental development of the game has been a key in helping her achieve so much. She's right on track in where she is expected to go as a franchise player and No. 1 Hot 100 pick." A two-sport standout who also excels in volleyball and was all-district in that sport, Brooke repeated as a 6A All-State pick on the field and the District 29-4A Co-MVP after going 25-8 with a 1.73 ERA and 346 Ks in 211 innings in 2016. The New Braunfels, Texas junior threw three no-hitters in the playoffs and also hit .432 with 10 home runs and 41 RBI. Brooke has been so good so long that she has had to live under the spotlight of analysis and high expectations from everyone in the club space and she has thrived under the pressure. Moving to the Firecrackers early in the summer, she had to learn to adjust to the high standards of Coach Rob Weil, one of the top pitching and overall coaches in the game, along with the championship level of play expected by head coach Tony Rico. Brooke stayed in California over the summer and worked on her craft, not just in the physical approach but in how to approach and battle every pitch as she will have to do at the college level. The Texas pitcher, who was on the initial list of those invited to the USA Junior Women's National Team tryout, has long had the physical tools being a 6-foot-1 two-sport standout with long levels and dominating stuff, but when she mastered control of how to deal with in-game stresses and pressures, she was able to carry the Firecrackers to a championship. Coach Rico says what he will remember most about Brooke at Nationals is how she would take a deep breath, collect and calm herself before each pitch and stay under control no matter the situation. Late in the game in the PGF National Championship, Brooke bobbled a come-backer that loaded the bases with one out and her team clinging to a one-run lead. She reset herself, pitched out of the jam and went on to win the game--showing the maturity of a seasoned player who has mastered not just her physical abilities, but the intangibles including leadership that it takes to be a champion. She truly took her game to a whole new level and that's why Brooke Vestal is the No. 1 player in the 2018 Hot 100.

The players are close to the same . A fairly insignifigant drop for Grace Lyons from 3 to 4.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Dec 23rd, 2016 11:45 pm

Interesting class.  I loved Brooke in the Finals.  She pitches like someone more experienced.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:38 am

The even more impressive thing about Brooke is she pitched the 18U Firecrackers to a PGF championship and I'm fairly sure she could have pitched in the 16U age bracket. I noticed they mentioned Grace Lyons with her strength could slide to a corner spot(3rd base) at OU. If she slides to 3rd that could open up the shortstop spot to Jayda Coleman.Everyone might get the left handed shortstop we're all so intrigued about. Grace Green is an impressive athlete. She's gonna be a stud. I haven't really seen her pitch, so can't talk on that. But I think she's somone that can play pretty much anywhere and can hit for average and power. They have listed as a P/3B but the times I watched she was at 1B in the PGF's.

This in my opinion maybe OU's most impressive class. 3 of the top 9 players, including the #1 pitcher is hard to top. Add in LaValley and this class is impressive. It will be an important class to keep things rolling also. They come in the year after the Paiges, Pendley, Wodach, and Arnold leave. So it'll be our next biggest turnover year.

Last edited on Sat Dec 24th, 2016 12:40 am by cclift38

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 07:22 am

Not saying I didn't make some mistakes but here is showing the top 11 team recruiting now that top 100 is in.

1. Tennessee 6 players 394
2. UCLA 5 players 365
3. Oklahoma 4 players 335
4. Florida 4 players 290
5. Oregon 4 players 237
6. Alabama 3 players 236
7. LSU 3 players 227
8. Auburn 4 players 218
9. Miss St. 2 players 177
10. Duke 4 players 172
11. Michigan 3 players 164

Here is a different method. Same teams taking 3 or more players(eliminates Miss St.) and taking the average points per player. The higher the better.

1. Oklahoma (84)
2. Alabama (79)
3. LSU (76)
4. UCLA (73)
5. Florida (73) with 1 less player
6. Tennessee(66)
7. Oregon (59)
8. Auburn (55)
9. Michigan (55) with 1 less player
10. Duke (43)

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 02:58 pm

I've learned not to put too much on rankings.  All of the high rankings in the world are useless unless you have a complete team.  This year, we didn't have the best hitting team in the NCAA.  We did have the  best-hitting team that had an ace pitcher.  It takes a lot of hitters to make up for one Paige Parker.

As I look at the incoming classes, I see a lot of potential talent, but it begins with Brooke Vestal.  I had thought that Maria Lopez would be like that.  But, I watched Brooke pitch the final game, and she shut some good hitters down in the last two or three games.  She was the youngest on the field, and the best.  I think she will be in that Paige Parker category.  Of course, I had thought that about this past year's freshmen as well.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 04:22 pm

Thanks cclift38. Definitely some great athletes there.

Looks like we are developing some recruiting pipelines to the Firecrackers/Batbusters.

upontop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Dec 24th, 2016 05:29 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
Thanks cclift38. Definitely some great athletes there.

Looks like we are developing some recruiting pipelines to the Firecrackers/Batbusters.

This class is full of great athletes, hopefully they can come in and have an immediate impact like the 2015 class did, as well as Paige, Kelsey, Nicole and to some extent Lea did in their freshman (2014) campaigns. From a shear numbers standpoint the 2015 class will be hard to top being that they had 4 starters as well as an All American (Shay) in that class. Hopefully Brooke can come in and compete like Paige did her freshman year, that will be the key to continued success without any fall off.

As far as a recruiting pipeline, we have notable Firecrackers-RICO alumni in Lauren Chamberlin and Jessica Shults. Those two club teams are always at or near the top so it is a great pipeline to have.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Dec 28th, 2016 12:52 pm

I must admit: it's a little awkward to see my name at the top of the 2018 Hot 100 list with so many great players on it.

I have faced or heard about just about every one of these girls and it's amazing to think that a number of these players will be in the Women's College World Series in 2019.

Wow! I certainly hope I'm one of them with Oklahoma!

My softball life has been an interesting ride. We all start at the bottom. From there, it sounds like a great idea to face the best in the country until the time comes to throw the pitches.

Then a little fear sets in.

This post has been fun for me to write. I have thought about my softball life back to the beginning and I cannot count the awesome memories I have from this game.

Looking back reminded me what a great experience it has been. Thinking about my younger years has been a nice departure from the grind of preparing for the future, whatever that will be.

I love this game and what it has taught me. These are some of the memories that stand out and how each experience helped me learn what I had to do to improve:

9 years old… I cried after every practice for a month on my first club team (I had to get better).

Ages 9 to 11… I wore the a pink helmet. I thought it was cool (I had to dress better).

12 years old… I moved to a big name club team, couldn't hit the plate and sat on the bench (I had to get better).

13 years old… I started to improve and had some success (still, I had to get better).

14 years old… things started clicking, and I started to learn how to pitch (again, I had to get better).

Since then I have focused on steady improvement, and trying to learn as much as possible about the game and myself. I HAVE to get better to compete because the hitters are GOOD!

What a great game we play, and what a character builder it is!

The wins are awesome, the losses suck, and when it's over we have all learned a bunch. We remember the results, but I think the journey may be more important than the destination.

I know that I have learned to step up and be responsible for my good days and my bad ones. There have been plenty of both. My approach is to accept either and work hard to avoid the bad days!

Competitive ball forces us into uncomfortable situations. We wouldn't be playing this game if we didn't love it, and we all work our butts off trying to improve. I learned to appreciate the little things that we do to be successful.

I have been fortunate enough to play for some great coaches along the way. They each have their own way of teaching, and none of them would be coaching if they did not care enough to spend their time making us better players and people.

That doesn't mean we always like where or when we play, but I look back and realize that all of them cared enough about us to be on the dirt and on the road for many hours.

All the coaching and traveling while dealing with teenage girls and their crazy parents!

Every team I played on does it differently, but some of the core values I have learned are:

This is not easy on any level.
Be on time and be ready to work.
Go all out because your team-mates expect and deserve it.
Expect nothing less from them.
Work hard when you think nobody is looking.
Play every day like it is your last.
Enjoy it because we will miss it when it is over.

We all have high hopes for our college careers, and a bunch of girls on this list will get there.

When it ends--which it will for all of us--we learned life-lessons from dedicating ourselves to the sport and the softball life. We have a head start on the folks that never committed themselves to late nights and early mornings on the dirt with teammates.

For sure, no other girls will have spent as many nights with their families on fold-out couches in cheap hotels. Life won't be the same without the breakfast buffets before daylight.

I hope to compete with you guys on the dirt, then I hope we all play some role in sharing our game with the group of wide-eyed kids behind us.

K. Brooke Vestal

Last edited on Wed Dec 28th, 2016 12:52 pm by cclift38

jdurrett

Country of Origin: Oklahoma
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Mar 26th, 2017 02:27 pm

Impressive maturity. Patty is a Hall of Fame coach and recruiter.

JSULL

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Apr 12th, 2017 01:49 am

:ou: Looking forward to see this class play, but in perticular Brooke Vestal. She will be critical to our success her freshman year. It's great to see Maria Lopez looks to be developing into an ace pitcher. If she turns out to be a right handed Paige Parker that will take a great deal of pressure off a Brooke. I think we also will see another very talented pitcher transfer in.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Aug 20th, 2017 04:44 pm

Does anybody know anything about Sami Skelly other than she was Shot Put State Champ?

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Aug 20th, 2017 09:09 pm

Not much.  Shortstop.  Keeps in touch with Gracie Green.  They don't pitch to her.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 12th, 2017 02:35 pm

Flosoftball is re-ranking this class.

Here is the planned schedule of the two-week run when we'll unveil 10 honorees per day:

Wed. Oct. 11: Nos. 100-91
Thu. Oct. 12: Nos. 90-81
Fri. Oct. 13:Nos. 80-71

Mon. Oct. 16: Nos. 70-61
Tue. Oct. 17: Nos. 60-51
Wed. Oct. 18: Nos. 50-41
Thu. Oct. 19: Nos. 40-31
Fri. Oct. 20: Nos. 30-21

Mon. Oct. 23: Nos. 20-11
Tue. Oct. 24: Nos.10-1

Sat. Oct. 24: Hot 100 No. 1 Spotlight
Sun. Oct. 25: Next In: Nos. 101-200
Tue. Oct. 27: Class of 2018 College Rankings

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 23rd, 2017 01:21 pm

Anyone know what kinda hand injury Brooke Vestal had and how it affects throwing the ball.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Oct 23rd, 2017 10:08 pm

I heard it was a finger injury. I noticed a fairly recent picture where she was still wearing something on her hand.

Current time is 12:09 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page