Print
AuthorPost
Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Oct 25th, 2017 11:04 pm

cclift38 wrote:
I heard it was a finger injury. I noticed a fairly recent picture where she was still wearing something on her hand.
According to her Mom she is about a week away from being cleared to play volleyball.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Oct 26th, 2017 08:44 am

Signing day is sneaking up for this class. If I'm reading it right November 8th. so less than 2 weeks away.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2017 03:24 am

90 | Sami Skelly, 1B | Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
Skelly is an athlete who has largely flown under the radar up to this point but her power at the plate and versatility at first base helped her bust into the Hot 100. Last season, Skelly helped lead her Lone Grove High School team to the state championship game and then had a breakout summer with the Oklahoma Stealth batting at incredible .469 at the plate with 15 home runs and 42 RBIs. Skelly will spend this upcoming season playing at several top-level tournaments including Colorado Fireworks and PGF Nationals with the Oklahoma Athletics. Skelly hasn't spent much time on the national scene, but managed to catch the eye of Sooner head coach Patty Gasso, and has committed to play at Oklahoma.

62 | Audrie LaValley, MIF | Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
LaValley is a powerful lefty who can drive the ball to all fields with a beautifully natural swing. Her excellent range at shortstop and smooth hands, coupled with a strong and accurate arm, is only part of what made her one of the highest recruited athletes in her class for Oklahoma. Last season at Carl Albert High School, LaValley hit .422 with 7 HRs leading her team to its second consecutive 5A State Championship. LaValley is an athlete that continues to get stronger and will fare well when she joins the Oklahoma Sooners next fall.

31 | Grace Green, 3B/P | Batbusters – Gomes (Oklahoma)

Green earned CalHi Sports 1st Team All-State honors (Medium Schools) as a Multi-Purpose player as she’s one of the top two-way threats in the nation. As a junior for her Oakdale (California) High team, she batted .458 while going 7-2 with a 0.81 ERA and limited opponents to a .172 batting average. The soon-to-be Sooner signee showed her great athleticism at an OnDeck Camp four years ago when she shined in the testing drills, showcasing her great quickness, arm strength, and bat speed. She hits for a high average and with power and in the circle can throw in the mid-60’s with a drop, screw, and rise. Growing up on a farm in the Modesto area, Oakdale goes by the slogan “Cowboy Capital of the World” and that fits Green as her father, Daniel, won three rodeo titles and qualified for the National Finals Rodeo 10 times in his illustrious career.

13 | Grace Lyons, MIF | Firecrackers – Rico (Oklahoma)
You would be hard-pressed to find another glove in the infield that is better than Lyons. Whether she’s moving to her backhand or forehand side, every play she makes seems effortless and calculated. “What she does in the field defensively is ridiculous, there are few if any in her class who can do the things Grace does.” said one club coach. This season for at O’Connor (Phoenix, AZ) High, she batted .526 with 50 hits, 47 runs scored, and 35 RBIs in 33 games played. And she showed extra-base power as she hit seven home runs with 14 doubles. Lyons held .982 fielding percentage out of 109 total chances. She will sign with Oklahoma this week.

6 | Brooke Vestal, P | Firecrackers – Rico (Oklahoma)

For the last two years, Vestal held the No. 1 spot in the 2018 Hot 100. Still a franchise player, she was hindered all year with hand injuries that started at the USA Softball junior national tryouts and then were reaggravated in Colorado over the summer.

Vestal still has the skills and emotional toughness and makeup that helped her lead the Firecrackers to the 2016 PGF 18U National Championship. A First-Team FloSoftball All-American, she recorded 244 strikeouts with a 1.31 ERA. Vestal shared District 27-6A MVP honors in 2017.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2017 11:22 pm

Soonersports article on new OU signees - FIVE JOIN OU SOFTBALL IN 2018 RECRUITING CLASS

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 9th, 2017 01:41 am

I always enjoy reading Patty's comments on each player and the new Sooners comments on why they became a Sooner

OU_Tom
Administrator

Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 9th, 2017 01:57 pm

Carl Albert's Audrie LaValley signs with Oklahoma

http://newsok.com/article/5571322

tycat947

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Nov 9th, 2017 04:20 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
I always enjoy reading Patty's comments on each player and the new Sooners comments on why they became a Sooner

Agreed!

SoonerSpock
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Nov 10th, 2017 10:11 am

Thought it was interesting how high the Oklahoma State recruiting class was ranked. #6 nationally is very high for a team that has not won a conference championship in years. Former Sooner Kenny Gajewski is doing an outstanding job of turning that program around.

For the pukes to have a higher ranked class than Michigan, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, aTm, Arizona, Georgia, Baylor and Washington is significant. It appears the guy can really recruit.

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6034862-top-2018-college-softball-recruiting-classes

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2018 05:05 pm

Extra Innings softball doing elite 100 rankings for 2018 class, starting May 7th. This is the Vestal class that weve already signed. I'm going to assume this is their last ranking.

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2018 08:03 pm

The only rankings I've seen from them is the 2022's. I've asked several times if they were going to do rankings for the previous classes and never got a reply.

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2018 08:44 pm

https://extrainningsoftball.com/breaking-news-next-elite-100-rankings-class-2018-kickoff-may-7/

Killatella

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu May 10th, 2018 12:09 am

97—Madyson Lohman, MIF, Texas Glory (Oklahoma State)
Madyson is a versatile middle infielder and part of a class that Oklahoma State Kenny Gajewski is excited about: "It's a Top 10 group,” he says. “I think what we've added is a lot of quality depth, a quality arm and really good kids from really good families that are going to fit into our program well. These kids love Oklahoma State.” Mady is one of the standouts and at least one coach thinks she has the opportunity to play right away. She has great range and her arm is both strong and consistently accurate, earning her District defensive MVP honors. With a bat in her hands, she has impressive left-handed power and good speed to get on base. As a junior she set Timber Creek High (Ft. Worth, Texas) single season records for walks, steals and runs scored and career marks in steals and walks.

T-96—Sami Skelly, 1B, Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
Sami brings a ton of home run power to the plate and drove 15 balls out of the park last summer for the Athletics team as she joined a solid group of Oklahoma-committed players to prep for their future. She will continue to prepare this summer with a strong schedule including appearances at Colorado Fireworks, USA Elite Select, and PGF Nationals. Sami set the single-season home run record (100 at her Lone Grove High (Oklahoma) team while notching 43 hits and 58 RBI to go along with a .512 batting average during her senior season. The 5-foot-9 first baseman helped her team finish 2nd for the 4A Oklahoma State Championship and capture a Regional title. She was the Ardmore Area Player of the Year and earned 2017 All-Ardmoreite Softball Team honors. “For Sami Skelly, I would just say power, power, and power,” said Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso. “When she takes her cuts, it makes people take notice.”

93—Casey Shell, C, DeMarini Aces (Baylor)
Casey played for Greg Borzilleri’s So Cal Explosion for two years and had a great experience, blossoming against So Cal talent, but she wanted to come home and finish her travel ball career the last two years nearer to her Olathe, Kansas home. Playing for Olathe South High, she’s won two state titles as a solid back-stop who blocks and frames well while being able to manage pitching staffs who can trust her defensive abilities. Casey has earned All-State honors and has batted .461 as a senior with a .515 on-base percentage and a 1.223 OPS. She has led the team in doubles and is second in homers with only one strikeout all season. The future Bear is skilled at putting the bat on the ball and for the Aces this spring has hit .474 with a .500 OBp. She’s also an excellent run producer and should be a key cog in a stocked line-up managed by Coach Ryan Taylor.

T-92—Chenise Delce, P, Oklahoma Athletics (Tulsa)
Chelse helped the Athletics place 3rd in the 2017 Colorado Triple Crown Super 48 and take 5th place last summer at the USA Elite Select Championship in Kansas City. Coached by Brian Madden, who is an assistant at Southern Nazarene Univ. in Oklahoma City, Chenise is advanced in her pitching skills and was described by a coach as “one of the hardest to hit pitchers I’ve ever seen. She has a nasty riseball that makes the crow go ‘Ooooo’ every time she throws it.” Chenise has pitched Carl Albert High to an Oklahoma State title two of her prep years (2015 and 2017) and as a senior last fall the 5-foot-6 right-hander compiled a 0.36 ERA while striking out 233 in 114 innings while batting .435 to earn All-State, All-Region and Distrcit 6A-1Pitcher of the Year honors. Says Tulsa Head Coach John Bargfeldt: “Chenise has a dynamic riseball and it's been so good that she hasn't really had to use a lot of her other pitches, but she's got the ability to change speeds as well.”

82—Madison Lindsey, P/1B, Texas Bombers (Baylor)
Madison is a lefty pitcher from Kingwood High in the talent-packed Houston area who throws with good heat, in the 64-66 mph range. She has a National ASA (now USA Softball) 16U title under her belt in addition to being honored as a 1st Team All-State selection and receiving Pitcher of the Year honors. On the way to her 1.08 ERA, she picked up 322 strikeouts in her senior season, bringing her prep career total to 807. Madison attacks hitters from the mound with a riseball and serious off-speed stuff and isn’t afraid to challenge hitters. Her future coach at Baylor, Glenn Moore, says of the incoming freshman: “She lives to play this sport and will give us a much-needed southpaw in our bullpen.”

77—Kiley Naomi, MIF, Aces (Oklahoma State)
Kiley is one of the top middle infielders in the nation because of her range and fluid athleticism. From North Vermilion (Vermilion Parish, Louisiana) High—where she has been a 3A All-State and 1st Team All-District 8-3A honoree--Kiley was the only one of the half-dozen OSU signees not from Oklahoma or Texas. Offensively, she combines speed with a good eye at the plate and defensively she takes good angles and has a skill for reading and anticipating the speed and direction of the ball when hit. She first got national attention when Head Coach Kenny Gajewski saw her at a Florida Gator camp when he was an assistant there. It’s a key position to recruit for Gajewski who said of his signing class last November: “You have to have kids that can play multiple spots nowadays. I try to recruit middle infielders first, and most of the successful teams in the country do the same. It’s no secret that the most successful kids were usually at shortstop at some point, and they get moved around from there. To play shortstop, you have to have a different type of IQ, and these kids all have that.”

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 16th, 2018 08:31 am

43—Grace Green, 3B/P, Batbusters – Gomes (Oklahoma)
One of the 2018 class’s most versatile athletes who can play all over the field, even pitch, and has had a great senior year hitting .542 with a .622 on-base percentage, a 1.808 OPS with 31 RBI and nine homers in 21 games. She displayed that athletic side at the OnDeck Camp four years ago when she first burst onto the national scene. Able to hit for a high average and drive in runs with her power bat, Grace also pitches in the mid-60’s and has an impressive array of pitches including a screw, rise and drop. She grew up in the farming area of Modesto chasing horses like her father, Daniel, did as he won three rodeo titles and made the National Finals 10 times in his career. Look for Grace to find a way to contribute early in Norman as Coach Patty Gasso says: ““I love Grace Green’s versatility. She can pitch, she’s played third, she’s played first, I’ve seen her play short and the outfield. She’s got a really powerful swing and can work all fields. She fits our program really well and is just a good, well-rounded athlete that I think can come in as a freshman and help us quite a bit.”

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 16th, 2018 08:32 am

55—Audrie LaValley, MIF, Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
Audrie is a sweet-swinging lefty who is just the latest in a long family line of athletic talent: one brother, Gave, plays baseball in the Cincinnati Reds organization; one uncle played college football; another played college baseball and a cousin played softball at Lehigh and Tulsa. For her part, Audrie is one of the top infielders in the senior class and great success at Carl Albert (Midwest City, Oklahoma) High where she helped the Titans to four district championship and regional titles and a 5A state title last fall as a senior when she was named All-State. Versatile as an infielder and also a pitcher, she batted .528 for her career with 217 RBI, 32 triples, 33 homes and also compiled a 28-10 record in the circle with 144 K’s and a 1.98 ERA in 204 innings. Said future Sooners coach Patty Gasso: ““Audrie is a local athlete and another one that can play a number of positions. I’ve seen her elevate her game, especially in the last year and a half. She’s stronger, has developed more range and swings the bat with more authority. With hard work I think she can break into the lineup as a freshman.”

cclift38

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun May 20th, 2018 05:40 pm

T-96—Sami Skelly, 1B, Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
Sami brings a ton of home run power to the plate and drove 15 balls out of the park last summer for the Athletics team as she joined a solid group of Oklahoma-committed players to prep for their future. She will continue to prepare this summer with a strong schedule including appearances at Colorado Fireworks, USA Elite Select, and PGF Nationals. Sami set the single-season home run record (100 at her Lone Grove High (Oklahoma) team while notching 43 hits and 58 RBI to go along with a .512 batting average during her senior season. The 5-foot-9 first baseman helped her team finish 2nd for the 4A Oklahoma State Championship and capture a Regional title. She was the Ardmore Area Player of the Year and earned 2017 All-Ardmoreite Softball Team honors. “For Sami Skelly, I would just say power, power, and power,” said Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso. “When she takes her cuts, it makes people take notice.”

55—Audrie LaValley, MIF, Oklahoma Athletics (Oklahoma)
Audrie is a sweet-swinging lefty who is just the latest in a long family line of athletic talent: one brother, Gave, plays baseball in the Cincinnati Reds organization; one uncle played college football; another played college baseball and a cousin played softball at Lehigh and Tulsa. For her part, Audrie is one of the top infielders in the senior class and great success at Carl Albert (Midwest City, Oklahoma) High where she helped the Titans to four district championship and regional titles and a 5A state title last fall as a senior when she was named All-State. Versatile as an infielder and also a pitcher, she batted .528 for her career with 217 RBI, 32 triples, 33 homes and also compiled a 28-10 record in the circle with 144 K’s and a 1.98 ERA in 204 innings. Said future Sooners coach Patty Gasso: ““Audrie is a local athlete and another one that can play a number of positions. I’ve seen her elevate her game, especially in the last year and a half. She’s stronger, has developed more range and swings the bat with more authority. With hard work I think she can break into the lineup as a freshman.”

43—Grace Green, 3B/P, Batbusters – Gomes (Oklahoma)
One of the 2018 class’s most versatile athletes who can play all over the field, even pitch, and has had a great senior year hitting .542 with a .622 on-base percentage, a 1.808 OPS with 31 RBI and nine homers in 21 games. She displayed that athletic side at the OnDeck Camp four years ago when she first burst onto the national scene. Able to hit for a high average and drive in runs with her power bat, Grace also pitches in the mid-60’s and has an impressive array of pitches including a screw, rise and drop. She grew up in the farming area of Modesto chasing horses like her father, Daniel, did as he won three rodeo titles and made the National Finals 10 times in his career. Look for Grace to find a way to contribute early in Norman as Coach Patty Gasso says: ““I love Grace Green’s versatility. She can pitch, she’s played third, she’s played first, I’ve seen her play short and the outfield. She’s got a really powerful swing and can work all fields. She fits our program really well and is just a good, well-rounded athlete that I think can come in as a freshman and help us quite a bit.”

7—Brooke Vestal, P, Firecrackers – Rico (Oklahoma)
Brooke has been rated as the top player in the 2018 class previously, but hand injuries hampered her 2017 season and kept her from having the level of success she’s capable of and has reached previously. If she can return to the form from 2016 that saw her lead the Firecrackers to a PGF 18U National Championship and pitch lights out for Canyon (New Braunfels, Texas) High when she earned All-American honors by striking out 244 as a sophomore, then the Texan can become one of another long-line of great Sooner pitchers and realize the potential that had her pegged as one of the top players in her age group. Based on her strong senior season, it looks like Brooke is back on track to launch herself into a strong summer and college career. A candidate once again for All-American honors, she’s split time with Baylor commit Aliyah Prichett but still has compiled a 15-1 mark, a 0.78 ERA and limited opposing batters to a .102 average. And she’s impressed with the bat, hitting .515 with 38 RBI and until May 8 hadn’t struck out once all season. Sooners Head Coach Patty Gasso says, “Brooke Vestal is probably one of the most recognizable pitchers from the 2018 class. She won the PGF Championship and was the leading pitcher for one of the most prominent teams on the travel ball circuit. She’s another versatile athlete, who has excelled on both the softball field and on the volleyball court. I’m excited to see her compete at this level. When you add her to our current pitching staff, she’s going to win a lot of ball games."

6—Grace Lyons, MIF, Firecrackers – Rico (Oklahoma)
From early on you could see that Grace was one of the sleekest, smoothest infielders in the nation at any age, with a ball-to-hand transition as fast as anyone on the softball diamond. Growing up playing baseball, her mechanics and technique are solid and she makes every movement look effortless and fluid, whether it’s going deep in the hole at short or pivoting and throwing from second. There was no doubt that her defense would earn her a scholarship—it was a question of whether her bat could match the high bar her glove skills had set. As of the last year, it looks like that mission has been accomplished. Grace led her Sandra Day O’Connor (Phoenix, Arizona) High team to a 6A state title as a junior when she hit .526 with 35 RBI and this year—for the fourth season in a row—her batting average has increased. This season Grace hit .642 and she matched her seven home runs from last year in four fewer games while completing her career going 35-for-42 on the basepaths. A three-time All-Region pick, look for her to be a strong candidate for All-American honors this year. A teammate of Brooke Vestal on the Firecrackers-Rico team, Grace will join the Texas pitcher in Norman, Oklahoma. Says OU’s Coach Gasso: “Grace Lyons grew up playing baseball and you can see that in her style. She’s very smooth at shortstop with good hands and a strong arm. That position is not going to be an easy one to fill next year, but I think Grace could be one of the leading candidates to do just that. She’s very recognizable on the field because she makes those big-time plays look so easy.”

Last edited on Sun May 20th, 2018 05:46 pm by cclift38

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 07:30 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
Soonersports article on new OU signees - FIVE JOIN OU SOFTBALL IN 2018 RECRUITING CLASS

(y):ou:

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 07:49 pm

Can someone compare Vestal to other pitchers we might have seen?

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 07:54 pm

I've seen Vestal twice, most recently in  some national championship for summer ball two years ago.  She was underaged compared to the other team stars.  But, she won it for them.
She is tall, 6-0 I think, somewhat lanky.  It gives her a  long arc to generate power.  She has every pitch and good control.  She may well be our next Paige Parker, only a bit faster.
She was injured this past year.  I hear she is OK now.  Prior to her injury, I think she had been #1 in her class for like three years.

Current time is 01:39 pm
Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2