Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 06:02 pm

I know that Bigfoot is still something that has not been proven to exist but I am wondering if any of you have ever seen something that you just can't quiet explain.

My daughter saw something in my front yard last night when she got home around midnight. As she pulled into the driveway her headlights caught something standing at the bird feeder. It was standing on two legs, it was very tall, brown and shaggy. It moved so fast that she didn't get a really good look at it. She had seen something like that before in a pasture just about sunrise one morning on her way to work.

Something was getting in my trash, it was able to toss two huge rocks off of the lid and toss back the lid and sift through my trash, sometimes dragging the sacks off. I finally had to take the trash down the morning they picked it up so that put a stop to it. Coons?

We thought it might be a bear but no one has ever seen one around here, no sign of one around the ponds, no animals being killed and there are sheep and goats. However, a neighbors dog was severely injured by something a couple of months ago.

No...she wasn't drinking.:D

SwampSooner

Country of Origin: Oklahoma, of course!
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 06:37 pm

Still sounds like a bear. 

Black bears were thought to be extinct in Louisiana until they were spotted about 10 years ago.  Now they have been seen in SE Texas, so these critters do move around.

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 06:45 pm

There are black bears in eastern Oklahoma. The link below is about a black bear that was found not too far from Claremore in 2010.

http://www.newson6.com/story/12507035/black-bear-found-in-rural-rogers-county-being-relocated

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 06:48 pm

I know that there are bears around Lake Hudson and of course they could be around my house too but this didn't look or act like a bear.

We also have cougars...the ones with 4 legs.:D

Last edited on Sun Jun 19th, 2016 06:52 pm by Echo

ArmySooner
Administrator

Country of Origin: Potawatomi Nation
Signature: Pookie Poo
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 07:46 pm

It was Tennsooner. He was drinking and hasn't shaved in a couple of weeks.

sybarite
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 08:25 pm

A raccoon isn't tall, even on two legs.  But, every aspect of what you are  describing sounds like a raccoon.  I would anticipate a description as being more something of a grayish color.  But, the behavior is that of a raccoon.

They are usually out a little later.  I've seen them most between midnight and four.  They are extremely active  at night, even in urban areas.  You might find them in almost any residential area of Dallas.  They thrive on garbage cans.  They, as described, tend to take the bags out of the garbage can and string everything out as they search for food.  A twenty foot trail isn't unusual.  Usually, they tip the big cans over.  They are adept with their forepaws.

They usually run if confronted, although they might snarl  until they realize that they are twenty pounds, and you are bigger.  For the most part, they are harmless and fun to watch.  Where you find one, there are usually several pups.  A mother with four or five pups would be routine, all following her.

On their hind legs, they wouldn't stand much higher than a birdbath.  They head may reach up to about three to three and a half feet, the paws a bit higher.

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 09:13 pm

Trash cans...coons maybe the right answer but the thing in my front yard last night was over 6 feet tall.

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 09:42 pm

https://youtu.be/9ZYn1vc6v0c

MsProudSooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 09:54 pm

Raccoons make a terrible hissing noise, sounds like a huge cat, when they are mad or cornered. When I was a kid, we lived across the street from the police station. This was the late 1950's or early 1960's and sometimes our dog was in our fenced yard and sometimes he wasn't. Someone had trapped a raccoon and brought it to the police station. It was in a wire cage sitting right next to the front door. My dog was curious and wandered across the street to see what was in the cage. He crept up to the cage and got within a foot or two and the raccoon made the most awful hissing noise you've ever heard! We were across the street on the front porch and we could hear him from there. That was the fastest I ever saw my dog run!

Last edited on Mon Jun 20th, 2016 01:24 am by MsProudSooner

SoonerinDallas

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 10:19 pm

Sure it wasn't Art Briles?:D

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 10:31 pm

I do know that coons will drown a dog if it gets in the water with it. Coon dogs have to be careful, coons are real fighters.

TennSooner...were you in my front yard sneaking sunflower seeds out of my feeder? You little rascal.

tennsooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: DAYTONA 500 for those who have brain damage.
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 10:37 pm

Echo wrote:
I do know that coons will drown a dog if it gets in the water with it. Coon dogs have to be careful, coons are real fighters.

TennSooner...were you in my front yard sneaking sunflower seeds out of my feeder? You little rascal.

Wasn't me. I am in the clear because I'm not 6 feet tall.

I say it was either a bear or bigfoot. I'm going with bigfoot.;);)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Jun 19th, 2016 11:06 pm

Echo wrote: I know that Bigfoot is still something that has not been proven to exist but I am wondering if any of you have ever seen something that you just can't quiet explain.

My daughter saw something in my front yard last night when she got home around midnight. As she pulled into the driveway her headlights caught something standing at the bird feeder. It was standing on two legs, it was very tall, brown and shaggy. It moved so fast that she didn't get a really good look at it. She had seen something like that before in a pasture just about sunrise one morning on her way to work.

Something was getting in my trash, it was able to toss two huge rocks off of the lid and toss back the lid and sift through my trash, sometimes dragging the sacks off. I finally had to take the trash down the morning they picked it up so that put a stop to it. Coons?

We thought it might be a bear but no one has ever seen one around here, no sign of one around the ponds, no animals being killed and there are sheep and goats. However, a neighbors dog was severely injured by something a couple of months ago.

No...she wasn't drinking.:D

What is your daughters definition of tall and shaggy?

Bears coming out of hibernation might be shaggy, but in late June in your part of Oklahoma they should be sleek and not shaggy. Not sure Arkansas black bears really hibernate.   An Adult Arkansas black bear could range anywhere from 100 or less to 300 or a little more.  I'm sure some of the Arkansas bears might be bigger, but not a whole lot.  I would guess that a standing black bear of this weight range would be from say 36 inches to maybe 50 inches or so tall, maybe even 60, don't really know.  I've see YNP black bears that where 2 to 3 years old and not be more than 150 pounds and maybe 36 inches long or tall when standing on their back legs.

The Arkansas bears colors range up to cinnamon color.  Bears don't run on two legs :cool: so if what your daughter saw was 48 to 60 inches tall when running it wasn't a black bear.

I think a huge raccoon might be as tall on its back legs as maybe 18 to 24 inches at the most.  They are longer than that from tip of tail to nose, but my guess is a big coon might stand as high as 15 inches.

The activities you describe regarding them digging and dragging your trash around would fit both black bears and raccoons.  Or even a dog or cat.

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 01:45 am

Okay....whatever she saw was about 8 feet tall. It was as tall as the pole that I hang my bird feeders on. The feeders were not torn up either. I think a bear would have torn them down in order to eat the seeds. It moved really fast too. It had long hair and it was shaggy. It scared her to death and Izzy the cat was in a panic to get in the house too.

SoonerMachine

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 01:58 am

Sounds like a Wookiee to me. But it's a bit early, as they don't usually come out until mid-December. ;)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 11:30 am

Echo wrote: Okay....whatever she saw was about 8 feet tall. It was as tall as the pole that I hang my bird feeders on. The feeders were not torn up either. I think a bear would have torn them down in order to eat the seeds. It moved really fast too. It had long hair and it was shaggy. It scared her to death and Izzy the cat was in a panic to get in the house too.

You do know that this is the 20th of June and that isn't even remotely close to April 1st?

Go to Walmart or maybe Academy Sports and buy a camera you can mount somewhere close to you the spot where this thing showed up.  Then you might know what it was.  My guess is the "8 feet tall" was her imagination as that would be a huge Brown Bear/Grizzly weighing in at maybe 1,000 plus pounds.  No Arkansas black bear would ever get to be that big.

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 01:08 pm

Giant mutant raccoon.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 01:56 pm

SoonerMachine wrote:
Sounds like a Wookiee to me. But it's a bit early, as they don't usually come out until mid-December. ;)
I guess it could be a Wookiee, but they're even rarer in eastern Oklahoma than black bears. My first thought was it must be a

but since

Echo wrote:
whatever she saw was about 8 feet tall
then I'm thinking that instead it must be a

Don't worry, they're harmless, except for the occasional mess.

shinerburke
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 03:50 pm

Sounds like my ex wife is off her meds again.

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:14 pm

FYI, black bears are common in eastern and southeastern Oklahoma.  In fact, the population in that part of the state has increased so much in the last 10-15 years that there is now an open season on bears.  Oh, and the bears who reside in Oklahoma resent being called "Arkansas" black bears. :D

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 04:40 pm

Echo wrote: I know that there are bears around Lake Hudson and of course they could be around my house too but this didn't look or act like a bear.

We also have cougars...the ones with 4 legs.:D

I want to get back to the two leg cougars ;)

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 08:27 pm

scrybe wrote: FYI, black bears are common in eastern and southeastern Oklahoma.  In fact, the population in that part of the state has increased so much in the last 10-15 years that there is now an open season on bears.  Oh, and the bears who reside in Oklahoma resent being called "Arkansas" black bears. :D

Well, it is barely an issue and one would have to bare their insincerity to admit being resentful to being referred as Arkansas Black Bears.  The bear facts are that the bare existence of those Oklahoma Black Bears are due to the Arkansas Black Bears. 

Cemetery Guy

Country of Origin: Three quarters of a mile west of the Indian Meridian.
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 08:36 pm

Walt wrote: Well, it is barely an issue and one would have to bare their insincerity to admit being resentful to being referred as Arkansas Black Bears.  The bear facts are that the bare existence of those Oklahoma Black Bears are due to the Arkansas Black Bears. 

This is the sort of unbearable post that causes one to reach for the Bayer aspirin.

scrybe

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 08:44 pm

Cemetery Guy wrote: Walt wrote: Well, it is barely an issue and one would have to bare their insincerity to admit being resentful to being referred as Arkansas Black Bears.  The bear facts are that the bare existence of those Oklahoma Black Bears are due to the Arkansas Black Bears. 

This is the sort of unbearable post that causes one to reach for the Bayer aspirin.

Yes, but I suspect he was feeling the need to bear his soul (or was it bare his sole?).

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 09:27 pm

As much as it's possible that Big Foot exists, there is absolutely no scientific proof of their existence. To date, all samples that have been tested come back as bears, dogs, or some such animal already known to science. I've seen bears stand up and go through garbage cans, and I've seen them run and they can hustle. With the population of bears growing again, competition for food is up which is driving them more and more into human populated areas looking for an easy meal. I'd say you've got some kind of bear problem.

I really like Walt's idea of mounting a motion activated camera and see what you get.

Oh, and I second 47's thought. ;)

OU_Tom
Administrator

Country of Origin: Norman, Oklahoma
Signature: But what do I know?
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 11:35 pm

:big confused: next you are going to tell me that UFOs don't exist :big confused:

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 12:10 am

Okay...I'm going to play like it was a bear. I do believe that Bigfoot does exist and I do believe in UFO's. I also believe in unicorns and fairies...hey it could happen. We discover a new species every day. We don't know everything and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.;)

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 01:59 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
As much as it's possible that Big Foot exists, there is absolutely no scientific proof of their existence.
Then how can you possibly explain THIS?

SoonerRick46

Country of Origin: 
Signature: "Show me one White Eyes who speaks the truth and ...
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Jun 21st, 2016 09:17 pm

OU_Tom wrote:
:big confused: next you are going to tell me that UFOs don't exist :big confused:

I've actually seen at least one of those myself. Not to mention a friend of mine used to be an air traffic controller out of Sioux City, IA and tracked someting on radar one night going mach 12. Even with our military advacements, we don't have anything that moves that fast.

I do think there is a possibility that it can exist. There is plenty of uninhabited space in the world and yes we do find new species all the time. It's just with thousdands of people looking for them, several scientists included in that number, why haven't we found any tangible evidence of them?

shinerburke
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 22nd, 2016 12:36 am

SoonerRick46 wrote:
OU_Tom wrote:

I've actually seen at least one of those myself. Not to mention a friend of mine used to be an air traffic controller out of Sioux City, IA and tracked someting on radar one night going mach 12. Even with our military advacements, we don't have anything that moves that fast.

That we know of.

My Dad, USAF, was detailed to a CIA unit for a while in the 50's and has told me he saw stuff during that time that would still "scare the **** out of you if you saw it even today."

Current time is 02:49 am
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page