Oklahoma Sooner YouTube Channel

Search

Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 
SoonerTimes Home > SoonerTimes > OU Sports > A poll to vote for our favorite poster

A poll to vote for our favorite poster
 Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
Poll
Select your favorite poster from the below list.
1 9 (81.82%)
2 2 (18.18%)
11 votes
 Poll endedPoll ended
AuthorPost
K2C Sooner

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 05:44 am

Bump...I thought it might be timely. :dude:

Try this one...

http://www.soonertimesbb.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=25802&forum_id=2&page=1

Last edited on Thu Jan 16th, 2020 05:51 am by K2C Sooner

tbmguy

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 06:53 am

Rick is why I'm here. This other BS... I have no clue so unable to vote.

Fly

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 09:50 am

Rick the best! Dam who said Walt left?

Fly:ou::lol:

EMan
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 01:35 pm

A couple of other posters in this thread are MIA.

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 02:05 pm

I miss Sybil....Rick and 47. I don't know what is going on with them but I hope they are okay and that they come back from vacation.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '20
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 03:22 pm

“The future ain't what it used to be.”
― Yogi Berra

This article about why Mykel Jones is leaving is for Echo

NORMAN, Okla. — Mykel Jones was considered an important National Signing Day addition to Oklahoma’s 2016 recruiting class.

A four-star receiver and a consensus national top-250 prospect, Jones made a surprise visit to Norman the weekend before NSD, then signed with OU on Feb. 3, 2016. Jones, from Patterson, La., also held scholarship offers from, among others, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and USC.

Given that Oklahoma had just lost multiyear starting receivers Sterling Shepard and Durron Neal, Jones was seen as someone who could contribute immediately and become an important playmaker. But it didn’t quite work out that way.

Jones caught 13 passes as a true freshman, then 16 as a sophomore in 2017. His 55-yard touchdown reception from Baker Mayfield 34 seconds into the second half of the 2017 Big 12 Championship Game helped the Sooners pull away from TCU in a 42-17 rout. But in preseason camp before the 2018 season, he suffered a hamstring injury, played in three games (making two receptions) and ended up redshirting. This season, he caught just two passes, and none after the Sooners’ Oct. 19 win against West Virginia.

After the Sooners’ Big 12 title game victory against Baylor, Jones entered the transfer portal and was not with the team for the Peach Bowl loss to eventual national champion LSU. He graduated from OU in December, meaning he will be eligible immediately to play wherever he lands next.

Jones spoke by phone this week about his OU career, his decision to transfer, the difficulty of not playing much and what he sees for the future of the Oklahoma program.

When did you start thinking about transferring, and what went into that decision?

It kind of was mid- to late this past season. I realized that I really wasn’t getting the opportunities I thought I should. I wanted to wait it out and see if things would change, and obviously they didn’t. I kind of noticed it early on. I was coming off injuries and that type of stuff. I thought I would be more of an asset and more of a help to the team, and I wasn’t. So I wanted to go somewhere where I would be.

What were the injury issues you were dealing with?

In camp before my junior year, I ended up tearing my hamstring. It was kind of a week-to-week thing. It was nagging and nagging, and me and coach (Lincoln) Riley talked and we thought that the best thing for me to do was to redshirt. That season, I pretty much rehabbed. I still practiced, and toward the end of the season, I started feeling really good. I actually thought I was going to end up playing some games toward the end of the season but I didn’t get a chance to play, and obviously this season went like it did.

Why did you choose to leave the team before the Peach Bowl?

Obviously, since I wasn’t in the best situation, my whole thought process was to finish out the regular season, go through the Big 12 Championship Game and give myself time to sit down with my family and think about my next move. I had put in the time already and I was getting the same results. Coach Riley definitely understood where I was coming from. He’s always been an understanding guy and really good when it comes to supporting his players. That’s kind of how that went.

Was it hard to watch that Peach Bowl on television?

That was kind of hard for me. I knew my guys were preparing for a big game against my home state. I was thinking, you know, you never know when your opportunity’s going to present itself. But I had already made my decision. I wasn’t trying to go back on my word. It was what it was at that time. It was hard sitting down and watching it on television. I was thinking, “Man, I should be in pregame; I should be stretching right now.” It was a bittersweet type of moment.

You were a highly recruited guy who arrived at OU with a lot of expectations. Was it hard to stay focused, to stay motivated when it came to academics and those things?

It was really difficult. I was highly recruited and I was never used to not being out there, not making plays and not being a go-to guy. I had to find my role and do other things, whether it was being a great teammate — which I think I did, and I think my teammates would vouch for that — and also practicing as hard as possible so that I could get my guys ready to go. I kept a positive attitude throughout the whole thing. I’m not saying it wasn’t hard, but I had to find ways to better myself and not be in a slump as far as feeling sorry for myself.

How did you do that?

It’s a huge credit to my support system, which is my family. … That’s really important, just keeping a level head through all of these things. It really, really is tough. When I was going through it, I had to find something to lean on. Also, my teammates did a really good job keeping me positive. And, specifically, we got Jalen Hurts. God works in mysterious ways, and he kind of went through a similar situation and he was there to be a guide almost. He was able to look at certain situations and kind of coach me on them. I was really thankful for that.

Did you approach Jalen about this, or did he sense it and come to you?

He definitely sensed it. He knew I was a really good player. He wanted me to handle it the best way possible because he saw my potential. I listened to him because I saw the success that he’s had. There wasn’t a whole lot he needed to explain in order to get me to listen. I was all ears when he did give me advice. But it’s kind of weird because I really don’t know how we got so close. It just kind of happened. Next thing you know, I’m going to his house, we’re hanging out, playing “NCAA” (video game) and talking about certain things, and not all football. We talked about life, just being friends, talking about whatever. When he would notice certain things, he’d be in my ear to stay positive, or “Come to work today,” or “Let’s do extra.” Just kind of keeping my mind off my situation.

If you could go back and talk to yourself as a high school senior, what would you say?

I would tell myself to be ready. It’s not high school, so you’ve got to be ready to go out and compete at a high level every day, and not just on the field but off the field. I would also tell myself that there’s just so much that goes into it. You’ve got to be consistent. You almost have to have a killer instinct every day in order to separate yourself from the everyday competition, so that when Saturday comes, everything else is easy. I would also tell myself that studying is really important. Not just when it comes to your opponent, but when it comes to your job and what you’re expected to do, and how you’re expected to execute every single day in practice. Every single day is important. One last thing I would tell myself is to never take anything for granted because you never know when something could be taken away from you.

So what’s next for you?

I see myself playing somewhere else. As of right now, I really don’t know where. But I see myself going somewhere and being a great asset, and also getting my master’s degree and trying to finish up in one year, and have a shot to continue my playing days. I won’t say teams right now, but I definitely expect to be somewhere in the spring.

As someone who has been inside this program the last four years, what do you see for the future of Oklahoma football?

I see all the right pieces in place, from coaching on down. I see all the right people in place. Coach Riley has really, really gone out and recruited some highly touted guys. I think they’re going to be great assets to the direction that not just our offense is going but also our defense. He went and recruited some bigger guys that’ll help out on the back end. It’s also going to help us on the back end of seasons, when guys are beaten up a little bit. I think we’re definitely moving in the right direction and the future is bright. We have really, really good talent in a lot of positions.

Wide receivers Trejan Bridges, Jadon Haselwood and Theo Wease have all received a lot of attention but we didn’t see a ton of them this season. How do you see those guys’ careers playing out?

I see really big things for all three of them. The crazy thing is that they’re all three really good, and they all have different skill sets. They all offer something different, and I think moving forward, those guys are going to have a lot of success as long as they continue to work hard and do the things that they’re expected to do. 

Attachment: offended.jpg (Downloaded 88 times)

Echo

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 06:43 pm

Great read 47...thank you for posting it. I am really sorry that he never really got his chance to shine at OU and wish him the very best.

OU Chinaman

Country of Origin: 
Signature: OU, OU, OU!!!
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 08:19 pm

...good to see you, 47 Straight!:cool::dude:

:ou::ou::ou:::rice::

UtahSooner83

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jan 16th, 2020 08:29 pm

AllSooner wrote:
SoonerRick46!  Love his insight and all the info he brings to the forum.

Amen to that.

captnop

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 05:58 am

SoonerRick46 he has my write in vote!!!

vaokie

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sat Jan 18th, 2020 05:22 pm