Moderated by: sybil, EMan, ClintA.Adams, ArmySooner  

Print
AuthorPost
Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue May 17th, 2016 07:22 pm

Never, ever been a Giants fan. But now, Go Big Blue!

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Rookie-Blog-Welcome-to-the-NFL/80c27490-787c-4bfe-b3cf-b8ae25b7d6f7

Sterling Shepard Rookie Blog: Welcome to the NFL Posted May 13, 2016

Throughout the season, Rookie WR Sterling Shepherd will check in with Giants.com and provide an inside look at his journey of making it in the NFL.

Wide receiver Sterling Shepard was born to play football. The son of a Super Bowl and NCAA champion, he followed his father’s footsteps to a standout career at the University of Oklahoma before being selected by the New York Giants in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft. We begin with the Sooner receiving a call from the 201 area code...

“For the draft, we had rented out a spot in downtown OKC, and I just had all of my family and some of my friends there. It was an amazing night. It was probably the best night of my life. I was pretty nervous at first, hoping to get that call on the first day of the draft. Then I knew I should be going the second day, but I was just trying to hurry up and get the call. But once I got it, it was like a big sigh of relief. My family was jumping up and down. They were just so happy. It was a happy moment.

My immediate thought was I’m going to a great quarterback in Eli Manning, and then I thought about the two great receivers in Odell Beckham Jr and Victor Cruz. I thought about those three guys and how excited I was to be a part of that and hopefully be out there making plays with them. I see them as an example and something I definitely want to accomplish. I’m working my butt off. I’m trying to just get these plays down, and that’s the main thing.

My freshman year in college, I had guys to look up to then, just like I do here. I had Kenny Stills and Justin Brown back at Oklahoma, and I remember them just teaching me a lot of stuff. That definitely helped me when I became a senior and helping those younger guys. So I’ve got a lot to learn with Odell and Victor and those guys and Myles White. He’s been in the league for a while, so whatever insight those guys can give me is always helpful. Now I just try to soak it all in.

So right after I got drafted on Friday, I had Saturday and Sunday to just chill with the family and have family time. I knew I was going to be leaving that next week for the Giants, but we didn’t know when. Then we found out it was going to be Thursday, and so I just had to get everything packed up out of my house, say my goodbyes to everybody for a while, and then get on a plane.

I landed here and just hit the ground running. I got in the film room, I got the playbook, I got the tablet, and I’ve been studying and working out. I’m just really trying to study and get the playbook down. That’s the main thing for me. I think that’s the main thing for any of us rookies.

I’m rooming right now with Jerell Adams, another draft pick. That’s a funny dude right there. He’s the comedian of the draft class. So if I decided to have a roommate after this, then he’d definitely be my roommate.

Heading out of the locker room for the first rookie minicamp practice was a great feeling, something that I’ve been wanting to do ever since I was a little kid. Having that moment and putting the jersey on for the first time, I just want to be putting it on many more times. I’ve got a job to do, and I’m excited to get it done.”

Stay tuned to Giants.com for more from Sterling, and don’t forget to follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @sterl_shep3.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue May 17th, 2016 11:24 pm

Hey, your job here at soonertimes is to keep tabs on Shep's blog and post them for us. :cool:

pOUlon4747

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 18th, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for the post Trip! Shep is one of my all-time favorite Sooners.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 18th, 2016 03:04 am

Walt wrote:
Hey, your job here at soonertimes is to keep tabs on Shep's blog and post them for us. :cool:
It's always nice to have job security!

Here's an 11-12 minute interview the guys at Giants.com did with Lincoln Riley about Shep. It's pretty awesome.

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Oklahoma-OC-Lincoln-Riley-breaks-down-WR-Shepard/a01471f8-2d16-448d-af07-230450c7187b

sybil

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 18th, 2016 03:28 am

Triple Option wrote:
Walt wrote:

Here's an 11-12 minute interview the guys at Giants.com did with Lincoln Riley about Shep. It's pretty awesome.

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Oklahoma-OC-Lincoln-Riley-breaks-down-WR-Shepard/a01471f8-2d16-448d-af07-230450c7187b

great video.....loved watching the reactions of the interviewers !

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 18th, 2016 12:03 pm

Triple Option wrote: Walt wrote:

TO, thanks.  I know everyone appreciates these kinds of story lines.  Shep is an OU fan favorite and folks want him to succeed wherever he might play.

The pay here isn't much so the reward is knowing you are doing a service for the rest of us.  Hope this helps to keep your nose to the grindstone on your job here. :lol:

soonersoulbro

Country of Origin: New York City
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 18th, 2016 12:11 pm

I grew up a Giants fan - about 10 miles from the stadium. I've read somewhere that the Giants have been impressed with him...

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun May 22nd, 2016 04:54 pm

Barry Switzer ‏@Barry_Switzer 2h2 hours ago

Asked Archie, after @Giants rookie camp, what Eli thought of @sterl_shep3, "Eli loves him, thinking about adopting"

Last edited on Sun May 22nd, 2016 04:55 pm by 47Straight

oklahomazeppelin

Country of Origin: USA
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2016 02:05 am

Love everything about this.

The question came up recently about who our favorite OU WR is, and I struggled to answer. It's probably Sterling though. Not sure anyone had better four-quarter clutch gene at OU. What he did last season alone is probably enough to have him as my favorite. That Tennessee TD for instance.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed May 25th, 2016 07:24 pm

Posted 5/25/16

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-First-taste-of-the-NFL/3d0157b9-daec-4e42-96b0-10864a787225

Sterling Shepard Blog: First taste of the NFL

My original thought going out to the Rookie Premiere was it was going to be easy, just take a few pictures, sign a few autographs. But you really work out there. It’s a full day.

You wake up about six o’clock, start off taking pictures, meeting a lot of different brands. I think I signed about 4,000 total autographs and you have to somehow fit that into your schedule and then just try to manage spending a little bit of time with your family that came out with you too. So it’s a pretty full day, but it was fun overall.

While I was doing that, it reminded me of the first autograph I ever signed. I was probably around seven years old playing little league football, and this lady came up to me after the game and asked me for my autograph. She said, “You’re going to be in the NFL one day.” I need to find that lady and see where she is because here I am.

I’ve gained so many friendships just throughout the draft process and I saw a lot of those guys at the Rookie Premiere. Corey Coleman, who was drafted by the Browns, is one of my good friends. There’s also Tajae Sharpe, Cody Kessler, and a number of guys who I can call close friends now. Paul Perkins is my boy too, and he was out in L.A. We were talking about his situation when we were out there. He just can’t wait to get back, but he’s got some school and stuff to finish up. He’ll be back here pretty soon.

OTAs started this week, and it was the first time going up against the vets. My first day was kind of rough, so I had to get my head back in it. It was just mostly because of the checks. There’s a whole bunch of checks and things like that that you have to pay attention to, which I’m kind of familiar to but not as extensive as what’s asked here. So that was the main thing. Vic also made me carry in his helmet yesterday, so I guess that was kind of “Welcome to the NFL, carry my helmet, rookie.”

I had a lot cleaner second day, I would say. But I still have a lot of learning to do. Us rookies are just trying to pick up everything and get to moving at the same speed as the vets. That’s the biggest thing for us. A lot of the extra work is helping us out and just getting signals down and stuff like that. That’s where Eli is just a very helpful guy, helping all us rookies to get better. He comes and sits by us at lunch to talk things over. If we have any questions, we can ask him. He’s doing a great job of leading us. I can’t thank him enough for that.

bigedell

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu May 26th, 2016 01:49 pm

I just gained a whole new level of respect for Eli Manning. That's a classy, veteran thing to do.

SoonerLee

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu May 26th, 2016 06:58 pm

I become a Eli fan the year he lead his team to a come from behind victory over :toast: in the bowl game.

47Straight

Country of Origin: Indian Territory
Signature: #8 in '19
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 3rd, 2016 01:51 am

http://nypost.com/2016/05/31/meet-giants-sterling-shepard-self-scouting-report-ny-wonder-unflinching-mom/

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Jun 9th, 2016 09:05 pm

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Standout-players-from-OTAs/381511d3-286e-4c12-99c1-d092d99802d5

Standout players from OTAs

WR STERLING SHEPARD

The rookie second-round pick out of Oklahoma continues to build a rapport with franchise quarterback Eli Manning. The two hooked up for a red-zone touchdown in back-to-back practices and for the third time in four outings.

“The thing about Sterling is he will make a mistake, as a lot of young guys do and a lot of veterans do, but he doesn’t seem like the guy that is going to repeat that mistake,”

McAdoo said this week. “So once he makes a mistake, he will fix it, he will move on, he will learn from it and he is continuing to pick things up and he is doing a nice job right now for us.”

jimmc
Banned

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 10th, 2016 02:19 pm

Triple Option wrote:
Walt wrote:

(y) Thanks for sharing.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Jun 15th, 2016 03:54 pm

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/sterling-shepard-receiving-rave-reviews-from-giants-1.11915018

Sterling Shepard receiving rave reviews from Giants

By Tom Rock June 14, 2016

There is a lot of excitement over what the Giants’ three-headed receiving group can accomplish this season, but two-thirds of those heads are still question marks. Victor Cruz is advancing in his rehab from calf surgery last fall, while rookie Sterling Shepard has yet to catch an NFL pass.

While a lot of the focus is on Cruz’s return, there seems to be less concern about Shepard. The second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma has been a standout player for the Giants in the offseason program. “He’s going to be a phenomenal player,” Odell Beckham Jr. said of his new teammate. “He can run routes, he can catch, he can pretty much do it all. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing him develop.”

Even in the last few weeks, that development has been obvious. “The first couple of days, it’s hard,” Beckham said. “It’s hard to learn a new offense and you come in, a guy who was drafted, you feel like you have something to prove, so you’d see him making mental errors from just thinking. Now you see him getting out there and feeling more comfortable and just playing.”

Shepard, for his part, does not seemed overwhelmed by the idea that he is being lumped together with Cruz and Beckham. “I don’t see it as being too much,” the rookie said. “I’m ready to take it on. I feel like what I’ve done in college — I know it’s a completely different league and everything, but just as far as practice and being out here — I know that I can do it. It’s just a matter of going out and doing it. I’m excited and I’m ready to go.”

So how good can Shepard be? Beckham isn’t saying. He doesn’t want to ruin the surprise. “I just feel like I really know what he’s capable of,” Beckham said, “and I’d rather let him shock the world than spill his secrets.”

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 05:21 pm

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nfl-sterling-shepard-impact-giants-passing-game-eli-manning-odell-beckham/

Sterling Shepard will make quick impact on Giants’ passing game

Last season, the New York Giants were one of the lowest-graded teams on both sides of the ball, and it’s no surprise that they ended with a 6-10 record for the second consecutive year. Consequently, the team became one of the league’s biggest spenders in free agency to make sure their 2016 roster would be an improvement over what they put on the field in 2015. Most of those resources were spent on improving the defense — particularly the defensive line, with Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison coming in.

But what about the offense? New York collectively had a negatively-graded passing game last season, with below-average marks in all facets (passing, receiving, pass-blocking). One of the only bright spots on the unit was wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., whose +22.3 receiving grade was the fifth-highest in the NFL, while the rest of the Giants WR group combined for a -23.1 grade. Part of that was likely due to the absence of Victor Cruz, who missed the entire season after logging just 392 snaps in 2014. Over that span, QB Eli Manning finished with two of the three lowest passing grades we’ve seen from him since PFF started grading in 2007. Of course, poor tackle play and bad decisions under pressure should be noted, but Manning still suffered from a lack of adequate receiving options.

The good news is Cruz should be back this season, but it’s uncertain whether he’ll regain his 2011-2013 form, and he graded slightly below average the last time we saw him in 2014. Even with a potentially healthy Cruz, the Giants still needed WR help. Rather than dipping into a relatively weak free agent class, the team instead looked to the draft, selecting Oklahoma’s Sterling Shepard in the second round.

Shepard was the second-highest-graded receiver in the entire FBS last season (behind TCU’s Josh Doctson, who went to Washington in the draft) and his blocking mark was also among the 10 best at the position, despite sitting at 5-10 and under 200 pounds. He naturally projects to the slot, having spent 68.9 percent of his snaps there during his final college season, gaining 1,015 yards and reaching the end zone six times. Additionally, his 3.17 yards gained per route run from the slot would have been no. 1 among NFL receivers last season, besting Beckham’s top-ranked YPPR of 3.03.

Aside from slot production, one of the main problems Shepard should help rectify is drops — last season only three quarterbacks saw more passes dropped than Manning, and his 37 drops cost him at least 290 passing yards in the process. Meanwhile, Shepard had just four balls go through his hands in 90 catchable targets. His elusiveness is also a plus (team addressed this issue by drafting RB Paul Perkins as well). Outside of Beckham, Giants receivers forced just 11 missed tackles last season, eight of which came from Rueben Randle, who’s no longer with the team after signing with the Eagles during free agency. Shepard forced more than that by himself last year in college, making 12 defenders miss.

We’ll see how he fares in training camp and early on, but the Giants’ passing game and receiving group should be much improved over the long-term from Shepard’s addition. Crucially, he should take pressure off of Beckham, and in the event that Cruz regains his form, Shepard’s skillset allows him to play outside as well, although he’s best suited for the slot.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 20th, 2016 05:31 pm

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-Continuing-a-legacy/77e9e15a-1fe1-4eab-a080-11a4b73f6146

Sterling Shepard Blog: Continuing a legacy Posted Jun 17, 2016

This weekend marks the 17th Father’s Day since Derrick passed away of a heart attack in 1999 when Sterling was 6 years old. It takes on extra significance this year as Sterling fulfills his dream of playing in the NFL . . .

I’ve been through a lot of Father’s Days now, so I kind of get better as time goes on. Then it also makes it easier having a mom like I have who’s putting all the weight on her shoulders and really carried it. So I kind of spoil her on Father’s Day as well just because she’s played both roles for me and my sisters.

It’s kind of real special this time because I’m in the NFL and I’ve been working my whole life for this, and he’s a big reason why I do what I do -- my mom and my dad. It’s a special day, and like I said, I’ll spoil my mom on Father’s Day.

My favorite memories of my dad were just when he would take me to racquetball like every week with him. I’ll never forget those times. And then I used to go to his practices too and meet the team and his friends. I’ve heard some wild stuff from his teammates, but they all say he was a competitor. That’s one of the main things I hear from his friends and he was just always going hard, every practice, every game.

They made Senior Night at Oklahoma a really special moment. It was my last time playing at the stadium, and I had College Football Hall of Famer Brian Bosworth and one of my dad’s close friends come present a magazine to me with all the signatures from their 1985 national championship team to my family and me. It was pretty shocking. I didn’t even know it was coming.

It was a pretty emotional moment, but I couldn’t thank them enough. I love the Oklahoma fan base and family. I’ve been there for my whole life. I’ve always been able to go in that stadium since I was young and then I was able to play in front of those 85,000 fans, like my dad.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Fri Jun 24th, 2016 06:55 pm

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/24/nfl-kickoff-proposed-change-mike-westhoff-jenny-verntas-mmqb-10-things-i-think-i-think

4. I think the hype surrounding Giants receiver Sterling Shepard, the team’s second-round pick out of Oklahoma, is warranted. It’s hard to see much during pad-less offseason practices, but the rookie’s explosiveness and his ability to go up for tough catches (despite his 5-foot-10, 194-pound frame) have been obvious to all observers. Other than Odell Beckham, Jr., Eli Manning lacked consistent options in the passing game last year. With Shepard now in the mix, and Victor Cruz potentially back healthy, Manning should have plenty more this season.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2016 04:52 pm

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Rookie-Progress-Report-Sterling-Shepard/b51cb547-6c8a-41fc-bc5d-5ff43fa852fc

Rookie Progress Report: Sterling Shepard
Jun 23, 2016 Dan Salomone

Half a year has passed since rookies played in their last college game, and yet they’ve never been busier. Over that time, the NFL’s incoming class prepared for the combine, participated in the combine, held Pro Days, anxiously awaited the draft results, and reported for rookie minicamp before being thrown into the deep end with veterans during spring practices. Such is life for an athlete trying to make it to the professional level. The rookies were around earlier this week for the league’s transition program, but now they're enjoying a much-needed break before reporting for training camp on July 28. So it's a good time to gauge their progress heading into summer. Today’s rookie report is on wide receiver Sterling Shepard, the Giants’ second-round pick out of Oklahoma.

CATCHING THE GIANTS’ EYE
Marc Ross, the Giants’ vice president of player evaluation, pointed to the 2015 Oklahoma vs. Tennessee game as Shepard’s “quintessential” performance of his college career. On the road at Neyland Stadium in front of 102,455 people -- the largest gathering ever to see the Sooners play -- Shepard caught two key touchdowns: one with 40 seconds remaining in regulation to force overtime, and the other to win it in double overtime. “When you go to Oklahoma,” Ross said, “you always hear about Sterling Shepard, the guy who makes plays.”

DRAFT NIGHT
After selecting Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple with the No. 10 pick, the Giants drafted Shepard in the second round, No. 40 overall. He was the fifth wide receiver taken in the draft and the first of Day 2. Baylor’s Corey Coleman (No. 15, Browns), Notre Dame’s Will Fuller (No. 21, Texans), TCU’s Josh Doctson (No. 22, Redskins) and Mississippi’s Laquon Treadwell (No. 23, Vikings) were taken on Day 1. “Terrific competitor, just everything you want in a slot wide receiver,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “Our coaches believe he can play on the outside as well. The highest player on our board. I know you guys think I’m kidding when I say that, but highest player on our board, and an easy pick for us. Had a couple more names around that we liked as well, but it was too much value for us to pass this guy up. We think he’s going to come in and he’s NFL-ready, ready to play right now. He’ll be right in our receiver corps, and get a lot of competition in there, we hope.”

CRUZ COMPARISONS
The 5-foot-10, 194-pounder drew immediate comparisons to Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz, who measures an even 6 feet and 204 pounds. More than that, scouts see parallels in their ball skills and big-play ability after the catch. “That name came up when our scout group talked about him,” Reese said. “That’s one of the names that came up, a young Victor Cruz. Very similar in some ways, body type. The one thing about this kid is he’s 5-10 and some change, but his strike zone—what we call a strike zone—is bigger than that. He’s got a 41-inch vertical jump, he’s got big hands…he’s a tenacious slot receiver, run after the catch. Get the ball to him quick and he does some nice things after that catch as well. Yeah, Victor Cruz was one of the names that came up.”

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Learning the playbook was the first, second and third priority for Shepard when he reported to rookie minicamp shortly after the draft. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan praised his attentiveness in meetings and his competiveness on the field. “This was a guy that in some of the run plays would take his blocking seriously and I know that isn’t the first thing you are looking for in receivers but it jumped off the tape,” Sullivan said. “I thought he was surprisingly strong as far as the run after catch and then there was a suddenness and explosiveness in his movements, in being able to get open, and I think it has been said and I would agree that he certainly has the tools and can be successful on the inside but I think he can also be successful outside with the ability to separate from tight coverage.”

RETURNER, TOO?
Shepard made a tremendous leap in production between 2014 and 2015, improving his receptions total from 51 to 86, receiving yards from 970 to 1,288, and touchdowns from five to 11. That also carried over to special teams, where he averaged 7.8 yards per punt return. While he acclimates to playing against NFL defenses, Shepard could contribute in the return game like Odell Beckham Jr. did throughout his Rookie of the Year campaign. “We will certainly add him to the mix there,” coach Ben McAdoo said. “He will be a guy that is going to get some opportunities there, yes.”

PROGRESS & AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
During minicamp, Beckham was asked what having Cruz and Shepard on the field does for him. The two-time Pro Bowler put both arms in the air and signaled a touchdown. Shepard will only help take some of the pressure off Beckham, who already has recorded the most receiving yards in NFL history through a player’s first two seasons. Shepard heard his number called more and more as he progressed throughout spring, spending most of his reps with quarterback Eli Manning and the first-team offense. “He’s going to be a phenomenal player,” Beckham said. “He can run routes, he can catch, he can pretty much do it all. So I’m definitely looking forward to seeing him develop. The first couple of days, it’s hard— it’s hard to learn a new offense, and you come in as a guy who was drafted, you already feel like you’ve got something to prove— so you’d see him making mental errors of him just thinking, and now you see him getting out there and feeling more comfortable and just playing. I just feel like I really know what he’s capable of and I’d rather let him just shock the world than spill his secrets.”

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Jul 11th, 2016 11:04 pm

An article about the Giants' rookies and their colleges. Here's the part about Shep.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/College-prep-gives-Giants-rookies-a-leg-up/76e1068e-7efd-4ceb-8461-e264a53e3e18

College prep gives Giants rookies a leg-up

The Giants draft picks all had a lot in common this year. All six were from major programs: Ohio State, Oklahoma, Boise State, Clemson, UCLA and South Carolina. All six, spare Eli Apple, also spent four years at school, which could give them a better chance to hit the ground running in their rookie season.

The Giants second round pick, Sterling Shepard, played four seasons at Oklahoma where he started 40 games. He was widely considered one of the most pro-ready receivers in the draft. “The coaching was top notch,” Shepard said. “And playing in the Big 12, you play against some great corners. Out of conference you play some of the top corners in the nation as well. Being in that conference, with great coaching at Oklahoma, all that combined helped make me pro ready.”

He is also relying on some of the veterans he is going up against in practice to give him some hints to make quick improvements. “I was talking to Cro (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) the other day,” Shepard said. “And he jumped on one of my routes real easily, so I just went up to him after and asked him what the little things I was doing to tip off my route. It’s great to have those guys with experience to give you some insight to help you out to make gameday a little bit easier.”

He still has some things he needs to figure out to be ready for the regular season. “Just fine tuning and some little things,” Shepard said. “I’m getting comfortable with the plays coming in and out of the huddle. Now it’s just finding my own twist on things with the plays we do have and what the coaches allow me to do. When I find those deals out, I feel like I’ll be ready to go.”

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Tue Aug 2nd, 2016 05:44 pm

Sorry, you'll have to go the article if you want to follow the twitter links in it. “Vic” is Victor Cruz.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-First-Impressions-of-Training-Camp/8db8e428-c93e-4805-a62d-22213ec544e2

Sterling Shepard Blog: First Impressions of Training Camp

Wide receiver Sterling Shepard was born to play football. The son of a Super Bowl and NCAA champion, he followed in his father’s footsteps to a standout career at the University of Oklahoma before being selected by the New York Giants in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft. We pick back up with him after his first training camp practice…

It’s back to business, back to work. I’m just trying to get everything down, trying to get this play system down so I can be a little bit more comfortable. I’m getting comfortable, but I can be a lot more, I feel like.

Over the last few weeks for our break, I was working with Odell a little bit out in L.A. and training at Proactive, which is where I trained for the combine. I also went to Dallas and then I went back home to Oklahoma. I was training with David Robinson, who works with a lot of guys in the league and played at Oklahoma. So the idea was just to train in a couple different places and get insight from different people to work on my game.

In the lab crafting with my boy @sterl_shep3 New York Giants 2 nd. Rd. Draft Pick "Train like a Pro" #savage pic.twitter.com/GZaxxAEpNy
— David Robinson (@drobsports1) July 4, 2016

Coach D Rob in the Lab with NY Giants WR Sterling Shepard "Can I Ball" @drobsports1 pic.twitter.com/DPKV22RoCg
— Coach O Recruiting (@simplyCoachO) July 6, 2016

And then it was time to put it on the field at training camp. It was good to be back out there. Everybody was flying around at the first practice, and we had a few big plays, which were good to see. We’re working to get better, especially us rookies because we know we have to produce. Being a second-round pick, you’re going to be expected to play. We all understand that if you make plays now, you’re going to make it on Sundays, and that’s what everyone strives for here.

Having guys like Odell and Vic right beside me is more than I could ask for, because they’ve had so much success. They really help. In college you may run a route a certain way, but it’s different in the league. So I get to get that visual from seeing them run it first and I can then tweak and adjust the way I do it. That’s one of the things I’ve been picking up on so far.

Another thing I’ve picked up from Vic is his helmet. He forgot at first, but I had to grab it after practice. It’s part of my rookie duties.

Stay tuned to Giants.com for more from Sterling, and don’t forget to follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @sterl_shep3.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Aug 3rd, 2016 02:17 pm

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Standout-players-from-Training-Camp-practice-82/c5629ebb-3e88-46cc-92c6-414e3acd8766

Standout players from Training Camp practice (8/2)

Here are three players who stood out today at camp:

WR STERLING SHEPARD
Odell Beckham Jr. (lower leg) was limited on Tuesday, so Sterling Shepard stepped up. The rookie second-round pick out of Oklahoma had his most productive day yet, showing off his route-running skills as well as the ability to catch passes in tight windows. Eli Manning connected with him a handful of times, including one deep in the red zone. However, spoken like a true head coach, McAdoo was quick to pump the brakes on the rookie. “I didn’t like his kickoff return drill,” McAdoo said after practice. “Kickoff, kickoff return drill; we talked about that. As a receiver, I think that he played strong today.”

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Aug 18th, 2016 03:58 pm

In Shepherd’s preseason debut, his first NFL catch was a 24-yard gain that set up a touchdown on the opening drive.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-First-NFL-game-in-the-books/8d62d4d5-7eda-4ff6-a017-dbedc92c03d5

Sterling Shepard Blog: First NFL game in the books Posted Aug 16, 2016

We were all pretty amped up and ready to go, but then we got the weather delay. So we all had to pretty much calm down a little bit and keep stretched out, keep everything loose. I definitely get hyped up before games, but I was pretty calm on Friday. I just went into my pregame routine, which is simply just getting taped up, putting my pads in and that type of stuff -- nothing crazy, no superstitions or anything like that. I do like to listen to some Kevin Gates, though, before games. That’s who I usually listen to.

Then it was time. It was new for me. I was excited. It was my first time putting on the New York Giants logo and representing the team in a game. I feel like college kind of helped me with preparing for that moment. Playing in front of 85,000 at Oklahoma, some would say I had a lot of pressure on me. Just all that kind of comes naturally.

I feel like we came out strong against the Dolphins, and that first drive was great. On the catch, I got the defender on an inside release. I could have done a better job on the top of the route I feel like. We work on everything in practice, but that play was something I’ve worked on for sure. I actually could have cleaned it up if you actually go into detail about it. Odell didn’t play in this game, but he was just telling me little things on the sideline like different releases to use. So those of course are always helpful and I’ll work on them. But I was just trying to make a play and got us in that situation to score.

Those opening touchdowns are very important for offenses. I feel like it sets the tone for the game. It definitely gives you a little bit of momentum, it gives your defense a little bit of juice going into it too, and it definitely lets the offense know that you can score. It’s just a matter of keep going, keep doing it.

I had to leave the game with a sore groin, but it’s good. I’ll be all right. It’s just been sore from practice. I should be able to play this week against the Bills. That’ll be another chance to improve some areas before the real thing kicks off next month. In this game, I’m focusing on going up and making stronger catches. I feel like I let a few get away from me there that were competitive balls on Friday. Usually I’ll come up with some of those. I didn’t come up with any except the one, which you can call a competitive ball. But some of the breakup catches, I’ve got to go up and get some of those. So this game I’m focusing on that.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Thu Sep 15th, 2016 04:26 pm

Sorry, I missed one (I can hear Walt now - "TO, you had ONE job!"), so here's a double-dip from Shep. One is before his first regular season game, and one is from after the game. He had 3 catches for 43 yards and his first NFL TD.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-OBJ-sets-lofty-goals/70886d16-9fc9-4cc4-9c44-f13b8f65fbfd

Sterling Shepard Blog: OBJ sets lofty goals Posted Sep 6, 2016

Since Odell tweeted at me “1,306” -- one more yard than he had as a rookie -- I just keep it in the back of my head. I’m not going to try to do anything different than I’ve ever done. I’m just going to go out there and play my game. I obviously think about it and want to accomplish goals like that, so I’m just going to give it all I’ve got.

I remember watching his rookie year when I was a junior in college. He was just exciting to watch. He was a big reason why I turned on the TV every Sunday. If you want to see big plays, that’s what you’re going to get out of him. So I looked at him a lot when I was a little bit younger, and I’m excited to be playing alongside of him.

Now he’s seen what I’m capable of and seen what I can do in practice and he just wants me to show it on game day. So that’s all on me. I’ve been working my tail off. We just have to put it all together as a team, as a unit, and we’ll all succeed, everybody will succeed. My expectations as a rookie are just to contribute to the team success. That’s all I’m going to do and come out and play my game.

This first game at Dallas is going to be really exciting. It’s the first regular-season game I’m going to be putting on the New York Giants helmet and I’m just excited. I got some of my pregame jitters out of the way with the preseason, but it’s still going to be an exciting moment for me. It’s a dream come true.

I didn’t get to play much my first game at Oklahoma in 2012. I was expecting to play a lot more than I did, but my first game actually getting some action was the next week against Florida A&M. I had fun that week because I got my first catch. And then my breakout came the following week in my third game. We played K-State and I had over 100 yards and caught a touchdown. It was an exciting time for my family, just like this Sunday will be.
I’ve got a lot of people coming out since it’s only a few hours where I’m from. I have my mom taking care of it all because it got to be too much on me. I’ve got a lot of friends, a lot of family coming out to it, so it’s going to be fun. There are going to be a lot of Cowboys fans, of course, down there, but a lot of people have No. 3 (my college number) and No. 87 (my NFL number) on their hearts.

I’m going to stick with No. 87. You’re not allowed to have a single digit as a wide receiver, but 87 was my dad’s number in the NFL. So I thought why not stick with it and everybody has been seeing me in it this offseason, this summer, training camp and the preseason. So I’m going to stick with it.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-Blog-First-NFL-Touchdown/c9a07dda-4730-4c83-994e-2cf86e44539c

Sterling Shepard Blog: First NFL Touchdown Posted Sep 14, 2016

On the touchdown, Odell came in front of me, did kind of like a crossing route and I just saw the ball in the air. I knew the ball was going to come. I just had to go up and get it. That one’s got to be up there with the best catches in my career at any level, to be honest. That one’s got to be up there. There was one in college I made against Tennessee where I went up kind of like that in the back of the end zone. But I think that one against Dallas may have been one of the top ones, if not the top one. It’s way up there.

Then I just decided to do the dance on the fly. That’s called a Dae Dae. I was thinking about maybe doing it, and I just went ahead and did it. I’m not that big of a dancer in the end zone, I don’t really do much, but I just had to do it that time. And then with everything going on, I actually forgot to take the touchdown ball with me at first. They were asking me about it on the sideline, and I didn’t have it. But Skib (equipment director Joseph Skiba) got me. I have it now.

Coach McAdoo also came up to me after the touchdown and said basically, “Just way to go attack the ball and come down with it.” That’s just what we have to do as receivers. We have to go up and get the ball. Every ball in the air is ours. That’s our mentality.

So it was also great to see Cruz out there doing his thing again. He’s been through quite a journey, and to see all the hard work and all the stuff he’s been through pay off, is just a blessing. I was glad to be on the field with him whenever it happened and it couldn’t have been a bigger moment with the game-winner. But we needed one last stop. I was right on the 50 watching the defense close it out, and they did a great job of getting Terrance Williams down and staying in bounds. That’s what we’ve got to do. We’ve got to work together hand-in-hand to get victories. We’ve got to keep going.

The whole experience of my first game was just a dream coming true, especially in that stadium. We had more fans come out than I expected. I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but we had a lot of fans. I had a lot of fun being out there with my boys I’ve been grinding hard with. It was a great experience.

Like I said last week leading up to the game, I had a whole bunch of family come out for the game since it was only a few hours where I’m from. I got to see them all afterwards, and they were just telling me “great game.” My Grandpa James Clay actually got to come out. He’s been to every one of my games since I was in Pop Warner. He can’t get around that well, so I didn’t know if he was going to be able to make it. But he ended up coming and I got to see him after the game. It was great to see him be able to come out and watch that. It was a special moment.

Looking ahead to our home opener against the Saints, they’re a feisty team. They’re young, but they’re still feisty. Guys like to play a lot of man, so we’ve got to do another great job of beating man coverage this week. They’re young, though, so we might be able to attack them that way.

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 08:54 pm

In his second NFL game, Shep had 8 catches for 117 yards.

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Sun Sep 18th, 2016 09:58 pm

Triple Option wrote: In his second NFL game, Shep had 8 catches for 117 yards.
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for keeping this thread going.  I don't watch the pros, period.  However, it is nice to keep up with kids like Shepard.

pOUlon4747

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Mon Sep 19th, 2016 08:04 pm

Shep had a great game against the Saints. Check out his catches from the game :shock:

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Sterling-Shepard-highlights--Every-catch-from-Week-2/c883176a-faf0-4995-b997-b1feb3d1663e

Triple Option

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 21st, 2016 06:14 pm

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sterling-Shepard-comes-up-big-in-first-home-game/389ee407-e758-41ba-a0b1-0c6bfc8e7d52

Sterling Shepard comes up big in first home game

Sterling Shepard’s first game in front of the home fans started with a huge hit by Saints safety Vonn Bell on a five-yard completion over the middle. The catches wouldn’t get any easier that afternoon, but by the end, he had them on their feet at MetLife Stadium.

Shepard, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma, led the team with 117 yards in the Giants’ 16-13 victory over the Saints. It was the first 100-yard performance of the rookie’s career, coming a week after he notched his first touchdown in Dallas.

“I got hit pretty hard on the first catch I had; I feel like after that everything slowed down,” Shepard said. “That's usually how it goes for me. I just have to catch one ball and I calm down and all the jitters are pretty much gone. It definitely slowed down after that and I see it slowing down even more.”

More important than the yardage – the most he’s had since going for 177 at Baylor last November – was the timing. Stuck in a low-scoring game, a surprise given the 101 points the Giants and Saints combined for in their 2015 meeting, both sides were looking for a spark. Shepard gave one to his sideline with a 32-yard reception down the right side from Eli Manning to set up a Josh Brown field goal that gave the Giants a 10-3 lead late in the third quarter.

The Saints countered on the ensuing possession with their only touchdown of the game, a 17-yard pass from Drew Brees to Willie Snead. Once again, the Giants needed a spark. Once again, Shepard delivered. The 5-foot-10, 194-pound son of a late Super Bowl champion hauled in a pass on the right hash near the Saints 40-yard line and saw some daylight, zigzagging his way down to the 17 for another 32-yard gain. For a moment, everyone in the stadium thought Shepard might score before he lost his footing.

“He needs to score on the one double move he had in the green zone,” coach Ben McAdoo said after the game. “He will next time he gets it.”

“I definitely should've,” Shepard said. “After I hit the first guy with the cut, I probably should've just stuck him with the vertical. But I feel like that's one I can make and feel like it would've been a walk in if I made that cut. I wish I could have it back, but I lost my footing a little bit.”

Nevertheless, the Giants came away with another field goal to regain the lead with 8:46 left in the game. But once again, the Saints countered. Once again, the Giants needed a spark. Once again, Shepard delivered. After Wil Lutz kicked a 45-yard field goal to tie the game back up 13-13, the Giants took over at their own 25 with 2:54 to play. Manning, looking for the 30th game-winning drive of his career in the regular season, led the offense down to the Saints 44, where the Giants faced a third-and-one just before the two-minute warning.

If they didn’t get it, they would have likely put the game back on the shoulders of the defense, something it proved more than capable of handling all afternoon as well as in the one-point victory in Dallas in Week 1. But that wasn’t necessary this time. Shepard kept the drive alive on a diving, six-yard catch with safety Kenny Vaccaro draped all over him. The clutch play took the Giants into the two-minute warning with a fresh set of downs on the 38-yard line. After Shane Vereen rushed for two yards on the next play to force New Orleans to take its second timeout, that’s when Victor Cruz hauled in a 34-yard pass from Manning to set up a chip shot for Brown to win the game.

“That's big time,” Shepard said of Cruz’s catch. “He's the guy that always made big time plays and he did that today.”

Shepard should know; he’s now one of those big time play guys, too.

“To be able to watch Sterling,” Cruz said, “and to watch these young guys perform each and every day during practice and during these games, it's a beautiful thing.”

“Lights out every game,” Odell Beckham Jr. said. “[Shepard] comes up with the big catch, makes the big plays. He’s going to be Rookie of the Year.”

Walt
Administrator

Country of Origin: 
Signature: 
Mana: 
 Posted: Wed Sep 21st, 2016 07:04 pm

Beckham and Cruz are putting lots of pressure on Shep. Doubt the would be doing it if they didn't think he has a shot at Rookie of the Year. Long way to go before anyone should be suggesting that of any of the rookies.

Current time is 04:20 am
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page